Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

Epic Games Releases March 2011 Unreal Development Kit Beta

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can we please get some information on the issue with heightmap imports. PLEASE

Comment

Is there a chance that ImageReflection Document gets updated with step by step workflow like in the case for rendertotexture cubemap example. I enabled those two lines to True in engine.ini and checked the option in the material. Then I set up ImageReflectionScreenCapture actor and after light rebuild I can see a reflection of a test mesh on the actor in editor mode, but not on the material when I enter game mode or play the level. Also specular from the light is not shown.

I'm not sure if it's another bug or I caused it by using that workaround to enable DX11 features, but under light properties in Jan and Feb build there was an ImageReflection settings group below Light Shafts settings, but now in March Build I don't see that they are present.

[shot]http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/1866/imgref1.jpg[/shot]

Comment

Originally posted by Hboybowen View Post
        Can we please get some information on the issue with heightmap imports. PLEASE
        That depends on what the issue you are referring to is I guess.

I added an updated explanation of valid heightmap dimensions and how the system works earlier today. It won't be public until tomorrow morning, though.

Comment

Originally posted by ffejnosliw View Post
          Have you read through the documentation on the features?

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/DirectX11Rendering.html
          These tutorials are awesome! they are clear and comprehensive and explain so much more than I thought would be doable with these new effects.

Much is appreciated!

I also noticed that Epic will not be releasing their Samaritan Demo to the public.
          So I guess its up to us to try to create something similar.

Comment

March Update 2 has been released with bug fixes that regular march update released had.

Comment

Originally posted by DayanFernandez View Post
              March Update 2 has been released with bug fixes that regular march update released had.
              Great, downloading now !

Comment

Just a quick FPS test on my computer with the latest beta :

-Render performed in DX9, not yet tested in DX11 vs DX9.
                -Tests made in the Editor !

Intel i7 860 @ 2.8GHz
                Windows 7 x64
                8gb or Ram
                nVidia GTX470 - Drivers 267.24
                BĂȘta October 2010 + BĂȘta March 2011 (updated)

I'm glad to see that the performance are almost the same.

Comment

Hey Epic, the *wrong* default values for a bsp surface are still here. That could be great if you could fix it for the next beta/update.
                  I agree with the fact that bsp is not good for a game, but during the prototyping of a game it is very usefull (with lighting of course).

http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=756046

Comment

Hey what actually got changed with the 2nd beta anyway? It appears to me that my first beta of March is working fine. I can enable DX11, but I haven't tried any of the tesselation, reflection or landscaping. Reflection is probably the only thing that may be used in my game.

Is it worth it for me to install the 2nd version of march? It takes a really long time to update and compile all my shaders when I transfer to a new version so I'd like to know if there's a significant enough reason to do this before I do and don't just wait for April.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitpawz View Post
                      Hey what actually got changed with the 2nd beta anyway?
                      Really the only thing that changed from the March UDK was the DX11 properties (like the ones in materials) being properly exposed.

Comment

Im having issues with Landscape lighting and materials.
                        So, I used the recommended dimensions from UDN, I have made some nice looking mountains and I have painted on them. However, the seams are extremely noticeable along all component edges (Both lighting and materials are off on the seams).

I also can't paint negatively? Wanting to make a small river/stream is very annoying with landscapes.

Comment

Originally posted by Froyok View Post
                          Hey Epic, the *wrong* default values for a bsp surface are still here. That could be great if you could fix it for the next beta/update.
                          I agree with the fact that bsp is not good for a game, but during the prototyping of a game it is very usefull (with lighting of course).

http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=756046

Not sure whether this is the same bug, but we did fix an issue with BSP ligthing defaults recently. That fix at least is going to be in the April UDK.

Comment

Originally posted by Jestersheepy View Post
                            I also can't paint negatively? Wanting to make a small river/stream is very annoying with landscapes.
                            I believe the documentation states Ctrl + Alt, but it should be Ctrl + Shift. The docs have been updated but the changes won't propagate until tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Vogel View Post
                              Not sure whether this is the same bug, but we did fix an issue with BSP ligthing defaults recently. That fix at least is going to be in the April UDK.
                              In this case, I can't wait to test the next beta !
                              Here a video of the problem (on an empty and new map) if that can help :
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhwHZ6NBZq4

Comment

Hu, ho, double post, sorry for that...
                                What is the difference between ReferenceDOF (which is expensive and bugged) and the BokehDOF which is advised in the UDN ?

Comment

Working...
                                X