Running a server with Steam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running a server with Steam

Working on a project, and I decided to try and setup a dedicated server. It all works, people can connect, and play, and everything, but only if I get off Steam. When I'm connected to Steam nobody is able to connect to me. The only thing I can possibly think of right now that would allow me to stay on Steam and is to setup the UDK server on a vmware box.

Is there a more worthwhile fix that would allow me to be on Steam and run a server that people can connect to?

hm.. can people on Steam connect to it?

Comment

Yes, but I have to be disconnected from Steam in order for them to connect.

Comment

The logs say that the server refused because we're running different versions of the game, but when Steam is off, we can connect just fine.

Comment

well, I don't have an answer, but that certainly explains a problem that some other people I know were having, if Steam running is causing that even with other Steam users. That makes Steam support still broken, if that is the case. Someone should test that with clean installs.

Comment

Well, we're also running October. Were there bugs related to Steam that might mean we should port to February?

Comment

There are several huge steamworks related bugs that will prevent normal play in older versions of the UDK. These have begun to be addressed in the Feb build with more fixes coming in the next build as far as I know.

Jared "Yoshiro" Creasy
              Tripwire Interactive
              QA Lead/Community Manager

Comment

So, would it be worthwhile to port to the most current release, or should we wait until March and see if it works in vanilla?

Comment

As far as I am aware, the majority of critical fixes made it to the Feb release, but not everything has been ironed out yet.

Comment

We'll try using vanilla UDK Feb and see what happens. Hopefully it gets evened out with March, but if it works with February that might be a worthwhile upgrade.

Comment

Seems that this, and a few other things I've been wanting are fixed in February, which is very good to know.

Comment

Working...
                      X