Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having fun with car physics

Hey there,

I started a series of blog posts on various aspects of car physics in Unreal.

Might interest some people here

http://technicalgamedesign.blogspot....K%20Motorsport

(Disclaimer: it's obviously full of physics and mechanic terms and concepts, so it might not be very easy to understand).

Nice presentation of the problem of gear ratios in UDK Problem is, you took us to the very edge of the solution, and then stopped. Understanding a numerical gear ratio is much different than the torque curve. An example of how to replicate a given set of gears in the real world in a torque curve would be a great help, as well as matching that to the EngineRPMCurve.

I have managed to get both to work, but without really understanding how;p

Steven

Comment

Hey,

Well, I stopped there because that's where I stopped in my work

On the blog, I write more or less as I go. I need to make some good torque curves before caring about EngineRPM curve, but I'll get there. And yes, I'll explain how I managed to get those "good curves".

Is there anything else you'd like me to expand on?

Comment

Something that I only thought about after I read your blog was that I have a different number of torque curves and EngineRPM curves. I only modified the existing torque curves to go from the default speed limit of about 65mph to the over 200mph we now have.
        But for the EngineRPM curves I added two more to make reverse and five forward gears. Does this cause any kind of conflict between the two?

Steven

Comment

Shouldn't. EngineRPMcurve is really only used for the sound, as far as I know. In the example I showed on the blog, my EngineRPM curve is empty.

Also adding "reverse gears" in EngineRPM shouldn't really work as the curve's x axis is the vehicle speed and negative speeds don't exist (or epic isn't using the formula I learned at school to determine a vector size)

Comment

Thanks Mougli!

I'm trying to make an boost action to my vehicle, so your blog is really helpful.

Comment

I've added a couple of articles about gear ratio (again), torque curve, and engine sound.

Disclaimer: These articles are NOT tutorials, it's just me sharing my experimentations notes. If I'm not explaining every single detail, that's on purpose.

Comment

Working...
              X