Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unreal in Browser?

Good afternoon anyone.

I was looking at how far in browser gaming has come in the past 10 years and have seen some really good looking games (for free to play online games). Does anyone have any news or thoughts on Unreal developing in browser support?

I can't see how they wouldn't have this on their minds. I would argue that in another 5 years time, we could see the equivalent of today's AAA titles running completely in browser.

I hope I get my wish...

Jumping from IOS to Browser isn't all that much of a feat.

I do recall back in the day the major reason EPIC hasn't made a "unity" like engine is because EPIC has always been about the edge and graphics and working in the game houses. To go to mobile or online is like taking a 3d game and stone-aging it back to 1998. I think however with the success of IOS, the prevalence of mobile and soon web gaming in 2nd and 3rd world. I think you might see EPIC relook at where it's priories are.

Comment

I'm really not sure what the advantage of downloading and installing a couple hundred megabytes of browser plugin is just so you can run inside a window in another app.

Comment

A few studios have tried it. InstantAction has probably been the closest to an ideal situation with the concept with being able to jump into any game within minutes (UE3 games included) on a fresh machine, but so far none have successfully pulled it off as a working platform capable of holding itself up financially. Publishers are weary of the idea due to piracy and very few will allow their games to be distributed without an already-proven model.

Comment

I think a better choice is something like Onlive

Comment

Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
            I think a better choice is something like Onlive
            OnLive is great, but you have no control at all over the game since they're just streaming the video to you instead of rendering it on your machine.

Other popular solutions stream the files to you with priority placed on the files that are necessary for you to begin playing where you left off. With this method you're still in the game in very short time without having to download gigabytes of data beforehand and you're still playing locally as if you installed the game yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Aldaron07 View Post
              OnLive is great, but you have no control at all over the game since they're just streaming the video to you instead of rendering it on your machine.
              Yeah, it's streaming, but you're still controlling the game yourself.

I'm not sure how well something would work to stream the game files, I would think you'd have issues trying to load stuff quickly. And you'd have to specifically design the game to download files that you'd need soon, which would probably be a lot of work since I doubt you could set that up automatically

Comment

Whats the point of all this remote desktop stuff anyways? All I see it as is a way for money hungry media companys to gain complete control over your computing.

Oh would you look at that 2,600... is the number of the i7 I wanna get

Comment

Originally posted by Blade[UG] View Post
                  I'm really not sure what the advantage of downloading and installing a couple hundred megabytes of browser plugin is just so you can run inside a window in another app.
                  There is a whole market of re-bundling called iPhone Apps

It's a known fact people prefer the meal prechewed and will pay to have it so.

Comment

Originally posted by MonsOlympus View Post
                    Whats the point of all this remote desktop stuff anyways? All I see it as is a way for money hungry media companys to gain complete control over your computing.

Oh would you look at that 2,600... is the number of the i7 I wanna get
                    I see it as a way to access more power(that's one of the things Onlive is working on, having games with better graphics since they have networked computers). And of course it would be an ideal situation for video game companies. Plus it's rather convenient for customers, since you don't have to go to the store to buy the game or wait for it to download, you can just play it instantly. And not worry about tweaking your system to get games to run, or have a console die out on you.

Comment

Well I can understand for access to net rendering services or similar but for games it just seems like an overkill solution to the problem. Tweakin system settings isnt that tricky, thing of it is people provide tweak tools but they come at a price and arnt supported by major hardware and software vendors. Mainly because they want control and they dont want middlemen in their way screwing up their ability to maximize profits.

In this day and age hardware specs shouldnt be a major issue, neither should waiting to play a game. This now now now generation has got to stop being so ****ing greedy.

I mean if you have internet thats good enough to access OnLive then you can afford the hardware and the software it takes to run those systems at a similar cost without the monthly fee's on an OnLive subscription so whats the point? The point is they get your money not someone else who deserves it.

Have you ever locked yourself out of your system? Well with OnLive you can have your input and ability to power up your desktop completely revoked aministratively without prior consent or reason.

Comment

Onlive doesn't need a super fast internet connection--if you've got internet where you can play games online, you can probably run Onlive just fine. And there's no subscription fee (they got rid of that).

Originally posted by MonsOlympus View Post
                        Have you ever locked yourself out of your system? Well with OnLive you can have your input and ability to power up your desktop completely revoked aministratively without prior consent or reason.
                        Are you saying that the Onlive service has some way where they can lock you out of your computer? That's doubtful

Comment

Actually, I rather love the fact that on OnLive, I can play games on a netbook that doesn't have even remotely capable 3d hardware.

I wish I had their technology available to me directly, so I could just stream games across my LAN. That'd be great.

Comment

Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
                            Onlive doesn't need a super fast internet connection--if you've got internet where you can play games online, you can probably run Onlive just fine. And there's no subscription fee (they got rid of that).

Are you saying that the Onlive service has some way where they can lock you out of your computer? That's doubtful
                            They can lock you out of their service and hence anything you use on there, so the thinner the client the more you lose. If youre using a TV and a controller, basically its not your computer its theirs.

You do understand what cloud computing is all about dont you, you ever worked on citrix or novell?

Comment

Working...
                            X