Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Small Sandbox Multiplayer Game - Possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small Sandbox Multiplayer Game - Possible?

So I have some questions and I'm seeking guidance from some of the wiser individuals on this forum, particularly programmers. I'm interested in making a small sandbox game ( think Halo Forge with a 2-3 player party) with a small list of items that my friends and I could make a world with then have some small multiplayer battles in. So essentially in real time me and my friends could screw around makings small worlds with our custom objects and designs.

I hope this is feasible in this engine and I really hope I could gain guidance and knowledge on the subject. Because I have no problem with content creation, but I realize that I will need some extensive UnScript ( I believe it's called?) to create the proper sandbox-like functionality.

I assume I'll need some inventory system and I understand that I'll have to use mostly all dynamic lighting. But I really hope some of you guys out there could point me in the right direction on if this is possible and how I should get started learning UnrealScript. Thanks so much guys, look forward to hearing from you as this sounds like an exciting learning experience.

John

Ps. I apologize for any misspelled words as I'm on my mobile and it won't let me view the whole message so I can't re-read, thanks.

I never use any networking in udk but you can definitely do what you have in mind. Look in the forum for replication. Udk works online there is no doubt about it. You just need to code your game

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Mellow View Post
      So I have some questions and I'm seeking guidance from some of the wiser individuals on this forum, particularly programmers. I'm interested in making a small sandbox game ( think Halo Forge with a 2-3 player party) with a small list of items that my friends and I could make a world with then have some small multiplayer battles in. So essentially in real time me and my friends could screw around makings small worlds with our custom objects and designs.

I hope this is feasible in this engine and I really hope I could gain guidance and knowledge on the subject. Because I have no problem with content creation, but I realize that I will need some extensive UnScript ( I believe it's called?) to create the proper sandbox-like functionality.

I assume I'll need some inventory system and I understand that I'll have to use mostly all dynamic lighting. But I really hope some of you guys out there could point me in the right direction on if this is possible and how I should get started learning UnrealScript. Thanks so much guys, look forward to hearing from you as this sounds like an exciting learning experience.

John

Ps. I apologize for any misspelled words as I'm on my mobile and it won't let me view the whole message so I can't re-read, thanks.
      Definately possible. I managed just this weekend to get a rudimentary custom server up and running and have 8 friends all logged in at once with decent performance using a mixture of tcplink and dll binding, can't tell you how happy I was when I got this to happen. I have no idea of the scalability of my system but can tell you 2-3 mates no problem at all, in fact it will run really well. If you decide to use the UT Server I am sure it will be perfect for your needs.

I can heavily recommend reading beyond unreal website, hourences website and udk central website and maybe purchasing the eat3d dvd introduction to unreal script to get started. These sites and dvd helped me massively with my work flow and how to code in unreal script and if you know any C-Style language your already 99% there.

Good luck.

Comment

To both Mordt and suends, I thank you very much for your help.

Mordt, I really appreciate you're advice and I'll definitely look into all of those sites, including the purchase! Though I looked into the BeyondUnreal website and I couldn't seem to find anything that would help with unreal script? Sorry, what am I missing?

May I also ask if you'd willing to offer me further advice once I get to the stage of setting up the networking part of the game? As in, may I send you a PM if I have further questions? It'd be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!
        John

Comment

http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:UnrealScript

Happy to help with networking via PM.

Comment

Possible Is... But Work is "BIGGEST" in UDK...

Comment

... says the guy who just showed up a couple of days ago.

What part of your game isn't already implemented?

Comment

*Expecting unavoidable criticism and correction from Blade*

Literally so far I have nothing "implemented". This is my first serious attempt at a project using the UDK and I have been creating objects and I'm very comfortable with the material system and things like that for importing and placing static objects. However, now I need to create and import Skeletal meshes and things like that so I'm going through a learning process.

Apart from that I need to learn UnrealScript in order to properly implement an inventory system where people can pack from that list, and then place said object on the map, all in realtime and in first person.

And lastly I plan on working on using the already in place multiplayer system. That's my big plan. Right now I'm working on importing placeholding first and third person Skeletal meshes. Then I'll attempt to work on the inventory system and so on.

So essentially I have nothing to show as of now. I would definitely be glad for your input though Blade and I'm certainly will to learn through all of this.

Thanks!

Comment

Blade's not the worst at it. He's at least nice usually (except with this one guy, but no one had any more patience for him....).

For the most part what it sounds like you want to do is basically make a map making game thing using the game engine?

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Getti...ogramming.html

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/NetworkingOverview.html

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/GameS...plication.html

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Confi...ameSystem.html

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/PhysicalAnimation.html

Read those if you haven't. I don't know if the physical animation one will actually be of any help but I threw it in there anyway because I didn't want to have opened it in vain. It's actually kinda cool.

Comment

Well basically yes, though I'm still focusing on the multiplayer game play aspect but with the option to have a server where we can free build while fighting as well.

And thanks for the links, I had been reading the first two already, hopefully I can accomplish what I want with relative ease, though I doubt it will happen easily since I have no past programming experience.

Thanks to all though, I'm currently just trying to figure out a custom 1p rig, but after I'll look into somehow spawning dynamic objects from a list. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                    X