Setting up your first game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setting up your first game

Okay, I'm going to be 100% honest here. . . I have no freakin idea how to set up a game for the first time. I've followed a few tutorials here and there but nothing is concrete to me.. I'll elaborate a little bit.

I went here and followed the tutorial.
    http://www.hourences.com/an-entire-simple-udk-game/ However, the tutorial seems to be a little out of date, and I'm curious as to why it turned my game's view into an action adventure view? (3rd person from farther back) and how I could change that back into a first person. The view isn't an issue as much, as I'm sure I'll figure it out. I'm sure i'm having another empty headed moment as im writing this.

Basically what I'm asking is this. How would you explain to a complete beginner on how to set up UDK for an FPS? I'm not a beginner with UDK, but I am a beginner at creating new games with it. I've done mods, models and maps like crazy, but this is the first attempt at actually creating something other then an unreal project and editing files that are already there.

To set up a new game, you simply install UDK. That's it.
    As you work on it, you gradually convert it into your game.

Comment

I believe he is referring to using front end, to be honest even i'm having problems understanding how to get frontend program which is installed when udk is installed, is used to make a custom exe

Comment

so is there any info on this?

because i want to make a complete game but i'm not sure how to go about it since front end seems to focus on files that need to be in area so they can later be packaged together

which can be annoying since most times the custom map won't get packaged with the exe even with ending the appropriate file save like dm- , etc.....

Comment

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/ContentCooking.html

I think OP is asking about how to setup his own code project and such. Which there happens to be at least a hundred, maybe a hundred thousand tutorials for on the internet.. including at least 2 in the "Documentation" link on the top of this page.

Comment

Working...
          X