Way to update game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Way to update game?

So I was wondering, once I publish a game's executable, is there a way to easily (without having users redownload the entire game) keep updating the game with small updates?

You could make an executable/setup file that can replace the old files with your new modified files.

Comment

That would work, if everyone download your game and have it on their PC. With the folders for your game, and folks can go to your website and download small content that they can probably replace with in their folders. It might depend on what your trying to update, in which they might have to download the right stuff for it to work correctly with the previous version of your game. Such as script referencing to the player and mesh. Or a new level.

Let say for example you want to make a new level that is unlockable in the game, but you don't have it on your demo yet. So you have the door in the level, that takes you to the new level, but it's locked. So hopefully you can just have the script set up for the door, and it calls upon that level. Still you haven't done that level yet. So when you do, folks can download it and put it in the folder, and that level opens now when you trigger it in the game.

Okay I'm hoping it is that easy but not sure. I've compiled, and packaged my game, but I haven't really browsed through the folders to see how my script and content is setup.
      Thank you for mentioning that. I will test it out.

Comment

I'm not sure if you can keep any updates small- afaik the packager takes all your assets and creates a few combined files out of them, so if your new content has new assets you're looking at redistributing all of those for starters

Comment

Depends on your distribution platform. Steam adds a bunch of rules so it's not as easy as pushing out an update and calling it quits.

Comment

Couldn't you create an .exe or something that extracts and rearchives data in the combined files?

Comment

Because Steam doesn't really allow that. They want to push updates through their system.

Comment

Hey when I download my game I have a few folders for my game content. In the cooked PC folder is my levels. You think if I wanted to add more content to my levels like I stated above with the unlock level system, that I could just switch out any level in the CookedPC folder. Only the one I switch it out with has the same naming but extra script. That might work.

So not just depending on adding small content. What about just having the script set up for the content to load. Maybe call upon an object that's in a package you haven't done yet. Still you know the name you want to call it. Same for levels. So when you as the developer finish that new content you can add that package for download and the player can replace it with what's in the CookedPC folder.

Comment

Sorry for the umcomplete first post.

I use a simple method to update my game:
                  Install WinMerge
                  Build the old and new version and the new one and install them new.
                  Now in order to get a small update compare those two installation folders with WinMerge.
                  All Files which are shown by WinMerge being different has to be in the Update.
                  I use in order to make the update smallinstall maker. I make a new order and rebuild the folder structure of your game. Now put your files which have to be updated in it. Now put the main folder of your update into small install maker. After building your setup you are ready. You are able to add a script which automaticly finds your game folder but is works good without it.

Comment

Originally posted by Solid Snake View Post
                    Because Steam doesn't really allow that. They want to push updates through their system.
                    what is wrong with using steamworks?

Comment

You quoted the answer to your question.

Comment

Working...
                      X