Where do I start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where do I start?

I am making a video game. I mean a full blown video game. I got the story down, how the levels will look, setting, etc. all ready.

So where do I start?

Do I beginning scripts? building the setting? 3D modeling?

I am not quite sure. I am getting some aspiring game designers I know to do this with me but I am unsure what steps need to be done in what order.

In game productions usually things are going on at the same time. For instance, with art assets (environments, characters) you'd have people working on those at the same time as the programmers.

What I would do if you're working alone, figure out what programming issues need to be done, if you need a 3D model to work with on something, just make something simple as a placeholder. Then once you've figured out those types of issues, start working on the art, that way you won't waste time creating assets for something that ultimately wouldn't work.

Comment

I'm doing most of it at the same time because I get bored easily. I find a lot of the programming I've been doing to be fairly repetitive... You can start where ever you want, not really going to make a difference. If you do art first you'll need to plan it out so that you know what everything needs to do and when, if you're doing programming first you'll want to make some low res placeholders for everything. Art assets take the longest usually, especially if you're going for photorealism.

Comment

Before you dive into modeling, texturing or something else start to prototype your game! Block out your levels, use a neutral texture just to get the feeling of the gameplay. Then change what doesnt fit and finally start to replace everything with the desired assets.

Prototyping helps a lot, if your prototype provides fun then the final product will be even more fun!

Comment

Prototyping is boring.

Comment

Haha i know, but it keeps you on track. At least me

Comment

I typically write the script first (not a full one, but the storyline, level outlines, important dialog), and then build an alpha for the first level and kinda change everything as it goes. Like right now, I'm basically going to build the entire game using quick mass models so I can get an alpha done quickly and get all of the scripting done so I have what will basically be the final game, only adding much detail to the places that are important or easy, and then just start going through and building the final assets (sound effects, models, textures), and then probably add in the dialog last (I've been using subtitles right now because I think voice work is A. a pain in the ***, and B. there's not point in doing until everything else is done, because then I can know what I want people to say, make remarks about surroundings, etc).

Comment

Working...
              X