Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The issue with not having proper core C++ support

Hi all,

I am not sure how many others would be in the same place as I but I find the DLLBind such a pain to get anything decent which can upgrade the engine.

I have been looking into third-party AI tools and all of them mention the need to modify the core C++ code to work.

Unrealscript not being multithreaded causes all kinds of issues with a serious amount of AI calculations, so we are stuck with the basic pathfinding and perception code that only does 1/5 of what I feel is needed for the game.

Other issues have included using a botched up system within DLLBind to create multiplayer game search functionality (as the Steam system does not function properly).

I understand that this is the issue with not having the full licence but it is ultimately a serious gap between a costly (and the only) alternative.

What is your point? You're not asking any question.

Comment

It's a case of 'you get what you pay for'. If you had more access to the native code, there'd be even less reason for a commercial UE3 to exist.

Comment

What is your point? You're not asking any question
        The forum isn't called General DISCUSSION for nothing. I wanted to know other's views.

I guess I would agree with you ambershee. From a business standpoint it all makes complete sense really.

Comment

Relax, the original post looked more like a factual statement than a call for opinion, hence my reply. But I might have chosen my words poorly, and I apologize for that.

Comment

I'm not really having an issue with it. For what I need external tools for, I'm using an engine for which I have the source. I don't understand why this is so hard for people to do.

Comment

I'm curious as to what sorts of calculations are you requiring for AI? Also curious what you've discovered with Steam?

Comment

Working...
              X