Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiplayer for free games?

ey up

it appears that udk is set up exclusively to go through steam for multiplayer (please correct me if im wrong).
    obviously this is not an option for a totaly free game because of the cost.

so whats the alternative?

cheers ta

Steam is the default, but you could probably use whatever you want.

Comment

Steam is used as the default server browsing/achievement/etc system, yes. It's not required to use it, though. I'm guessing you mean for multiplayer [server listing], and you should be able to use the UDK Steam ID for free. I'm also not sure that Steam will charge you to use their server finder alone.

Any other systems, you'd have to completely implement yourself, or maybe contract someone to do it (i could help with that ..)

Comment

so theres a chance that i could go through steam without paying for anything?
        ill have to dig into it a bit more.
        anyone know of a free udk game on steam?

there is no budget at all available (and 1 developer lol) for the tegleg records game so if we hired a consultant we would have to pay in good music and smiles

Comment

I haven't actually done it, but theoretically, if you took two different computers, side by side, with two different steam accounts, and ran the stock UDK (make sure both computers have identical script packages), then you should? be able to see a server hosted by one on the internet list on the other. I don't know if anyone has actually done this or not, I've never heard of anyone trying. I did do a query on Steam once of the UDK servers, and there were some like 92,000 servers that it had had registered. It wouldn't surprise me if half of those were me doing network testing some caffeine fueled weekend back in the summer.

Comment

Glad I'm not the only one working by myself.

Comment

Working...
            X