Online multi game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    You can run Listen servers. Warcraft was done using peer-to-peer networking, if I remember correctly, which operates a bit differently (but for the purposes of this explanation, you can disregard those differenecs .. and I may be wrong, too)

You'll need a metric ton of network bandwidth and CPU time to run 400 players. Network bandwidth far more so than CPU time, but you'd need to run 100 copies of your server, so also a ton of memory as well.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I want to say you could use listen servers (I believe that's what Warcraft did, where the person hosting is running the server and client in the same process) with a global interface that players connect to, but I don't know if you can set it up like that with the UDK (I always just assumed that it only was set up for dedicated but I haven't ever really read anything that backs that up).

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I want something like Warcraft, 4 player per game, end play online.
    Go on server select or create game / map, other 3 player go in game to play.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I think you'd need more than one server, but yeah, that all sounds about right. Ina ny case, you still need to write some kind of server software.

That said, with four player games, I don't see why one player can't host the game themselves.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Each game instance is essentially just a single online game. Like in Halo or Call of Duty or something, each different game being hosted is a game instance.

We were under the assumption you wanted to have 400 players in that one game instance. What you want is to set up a server with 100 game instances running, which is totally different. You would need to create an interface to find the games, and have a server array set up and online. Someone else more familiar can explain it in more detail.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks on replay UnspoiledWalnut,... you say thet games generally don't go over around 16 players per game instance.

I'm a little confused with the terminology! Because my plan is to have max 4 players per map or game, my question is what to do to have 100 maps or game which will be played online at the same time (400 players)?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I think a typical game now has between 1 to 3 million polys on screen on average. My limit is 1.75.

For the multiplayer part I am going to attempt to stay out of it for the most part from now on because nothing I'm doing with the UDK is multiplayer and for the most part I couldn't really care less about it, but for dedicated servers, preferably something with decent processing speeds and a good Internet connection. You can have 400 players over a series of different game instances, but you're not going to get them into one game. If you did your entire system might crash down in front of you (and yes it will probably blow up as if rigged with explosives, because computers can do weird things apparently). There is a reason that games generally don't go over around 16 players per game instance, as Blade said (with the exception of a few like Battlefield, but those were all designed primarily for large scale multiplayer, and also had the source code and a staff of highly experienced programmers to write it who likely knew exactly what they were doing because they had done it before).

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Considering the discussion I just posted in the "100 player server" thread, to have 400 players in multiple servers, you'd better have your servers on gigabit ethernet, and preferably multiple internet connections. Most "dedicated server" companies usually limit you to 16 "player slots" per server, so .. hopefully if you want to do that, you've got a lot of money.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I think he means a dedicated server hosted by a company, instead of hosting a server himself. If so, I honestly have no idea.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I ment on online server. What is important for online server?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by drakar View Post
    Thanks for your reply and sorry for my English :-)

another question:
    I using UDK and if I make a game, hay Epic knows whether free or not?
    Do I publish games thet not free, over the Epica or ...?
    Just to know whether it pays to make something and give you 25%
    They will eventually know if you try to sell your game, unless your game is very obscure and you sell something like 3 copies.

''Remember that the "server" is just a software and you still need a computer connected to the internet to host it.''

Are thet computer connected to the internet to host it, can I set up or to pay for example dedicated server?
    Any computer with the minimum specifications necessary to run the server can host it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks for your reply and sorry for my English :-)

another question:
    I using UDK and if I make a game, hay Epic knows whether free or not?
    Do I publish games thet not free, over the Epica or ...?
    Just to know whether it pays to make something and give you 25%

''Remember that the "server" is just a software and you still need a computer connected to the internet to host it.''

Are thet computer connected to the internet to host it, can I set up or to pay for example dedicated server?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi Saishy, thanks on reply.

on polygon limit, I ment, is it important to have in level 10.000 poligona or 100.000 ?

Hay can UDK generate the server for my? Hay mach I have to pay?

... percent'm new to this I want to learn .. to make a online game, can you explain to me or tell me where I can learn about technical matters. Server, the limit of players, ...
    http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/NetworkingOverview.html

Just now I realized "hay mach" is "how much"

Polygon limit have nothing to do with networking, each computer must handle their own graphics so it just depends on how much you wanna use. (And says the minimum requirements according to it)

You don't have to pay anything additional to get the server. Remember that the "server" is just a software and you still need a computer connected to the internet to host it.

Please use more than one software to translate this post to your language, or at least use google translate.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi Saishy, thanks on reply.

on polygon limit, I ment, is it important to have in level 10.000 poligona or 100.000 ?

Hay can UDK generate the server for my? Hay mach I have to pay?

... percent'm new to this I want to learn .. to make a online game, can you explain to me or tell me where I can learn about technical matters. Server, the limit of players, ...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    1. what have to do thet game work smoothly without interruption in game?
    Use a good network coding.

2. hay mach is poligon limit for online multi game?
    What is the polygon limit? The same as single player.

3. what server end where to get for puting game online?
    I'm pretty sure UDK can generate the server for you.

4. what to do, to have for example: 100 maps (400 players) play on line? fast server or...
    Wait what?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X