Sale system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sale system?

So, If I was interested in selling my game, how would I go on about doing it?

I know how to sell things using Paypal on my website, but how would I exclude those who haven't payed from downloading it, or vise versa?

You would probably want to put it on Steam, Impulse, Direct2Drive. You probably would be better off giving a small % and putting it on a good e-commerce site that specifically handles software. There are quite a few of them.

The difference between choosing something like Steam (etc) vs an e-Commerce site is that generally with Steam (etc) they will try to do some promotion for you at the cost of a higher % cut. An e-commerce site handles payments and downloads, but they won't do anything more than that. They generally have lower % cuts.

Don't try to make your own e-commerce solution. It's generally more expensive to do it yourself and you're likely going to just waste time solving issues other people already have.

Comment

I'm planning on using the virtual e-stores mentioned by Snake, and selling physical copies on Amazon and maybe some to local stores. Put up a booth at the market maybe.... For advertising I'm just buying space on Facebook, IGN, etc, and maybe youtube. For some projects, the game is in a realworld city so I'm going to do a lot of advertising around there for those ones.

Comment

The thing is, I am planning to have a long term and continous development while selling the game cheap as I work on it. Something I haven't heard any digital store support.

Comment

- Sell via PayPal / OpenSource eCommerce system until it is at a final release/build.
          - Then send it off for review to Steam, Direct2Drive, etc.
          - You would need a publisher to sell physical copies, and people don't tend to buy physical copies anymore (for PC). Digital Download is king.

Comment

Wait... I don't understand what you're doing. And people buy physical copies all of the time and no you do not need a publisher.

Comment

Wait... I don't understand what you're doing.
              Basically, I want to let people buy it cheap while in prototype, alpha and beta stages.
              Originally posted by CrystalCore View Post
              - Sell via PayPal / OpenSource eCommerce system until it is at a final release/build.
              I know that, the thing is, as I said in the first post, I don't know how to separate those who have bought the game from those who haven't. By simply adding a buy button to a site, it won't give them a unique download link or a serial. Does UDK even support serials?

Comment

You could offer it through some kind of donation system. There will be systems already built in a fashion like that, none of them come to my head but I've seen them. I'm not a web programmer but I think it would basically just store that username xxxx bought something, and it would therefore be available in the checkout thing. You'll have to look for one, but there are things out there for what you want. Haven't you ever used a site like that? I mean I don't imagine it's that complex. And it would probably be a temporary forwarding URL or some kinda proxy or something, not the actual link to the file or else that will be posted everywhere soon.

Serials you can add onto the installer I think. I don't know about doing it with the UDK itself. They don't offer that much protection anyway, unless you get the nice shiny rootkit ones. Even then, if someone really wants to get a working crack they will. Even Mass Effect and Dark Athena that had those horrible anti-piracy things got bypassed. With the serial it's just the matter of making it not read the part where it asks for the serial, unless you're smarter than me and can protect parts of the disk or install or something.

Comment

The intention of serials in this case wouldn't really be for copy protection, just a way to have a complete digital purchase system, rather than just "please buy it before you download". While I do currently use Paypal's donation system, I could look into their buy system, seeing as recieving links, serials and the like from purchases using paypal seem to be automatic.

Comment

Another way to do it could be:

Instead of selling the game, sell the account allowed to play it.

Free download from your website. They can register an account on the website (PhpBB Forum would do the trick). When they register a free account, they get a demo account to the game, so they can play for x amount of time, or something. When the account owner makes a donation or payment via the free-to-use PhpBB-eCommerce system you can install to your site. The game's account database also updates the list of players who can then play the full game. This would also allow for DLC packs, etc. with a similar system of enabling content on the players account.

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalCore View Post
                      Another way to do it could be:

Instead of selling the game, sell the account allowed to play it.

Free download from your website. They can register an account on the website (PhpBB Forum would do the trick). When they register a free account, they get a demo account to the game, so they can play for x amount of time, or something. When the account owner makes a donation or payment via the free-to-use PhpBB-eCommerce system you can install to your site. The game's account database also updates the list of players who can then play the full game. This would also allow for DLC packs, etc. with a similar system of enabling content on the players account.
                      You would have to code that, and that would be that much time and effort you won't spend actually making your game. (Though it might not be too hard on the client-side with UDK's web server feature)

Comment

That is a lot more complicated than he seems to want, although yes it would likely be the best method. But I always hate it when games want to contact a server when I start it, makes me feel uncomfortable because I simply have no idea what it wants to send.

But yeah like for ease of use those e-commerce sites usually work, and you can set it to dispatch an email with a valid code to the installer. That would be the easiest, simplest way that I can think of.

Comment

That would be plenty for what I need.
                          Checking out paypal, I seem to be unable to locate something remotely similar there.
                          Does anyone know any other sites that might have such a feature?

Comment

I'll call the guy I used to work with and ask him what he was using... well if he answers the phone (he was supposed to set up the payment system and deal with taxes and all that, essentially an accountant who helped with server maintenance but he got all ****** off about something and stopped talking to me). Or when I get back home I'll look something up, I still can't think of any names. But I figure that it's late enough to find that travelling pharmacy and that takes precedence....

Comment

Hah, sweet!

Comment

Working...
                              X