Book on UDK! Interested to author it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Yeah usually when I get books like that I rarely read it cover to cover. I look up what I want, and 95% of the time it's not covered by any book I can find, I have get someone to tell me what to do online.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    i would read a 2000 page book on UDK, ill just read the relavant pages

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Maybe it would be better to have something like GPU Gems, with a number of articles focusing on particular areas of interest.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    400 is all? Like my C book is was 400 pages and C isn't a very big language. I can see that being sufficient for something like, say, UnrealScript maybe, but as with any engine it'll take thousands of pages to just cover what everything does, let alone explain how to use.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yeah, I kind of had the idea that they don't seem to know what they are looking for, so they are looking not only for an author, but someone to design it as well.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Blade[UG] View Post
    I think a more important thing would be, what topics are you planning on covering with this book? 400 pages is not enough to even really scratch the surface of what this engine is capable of.

The odds are pretty good, I'd say, that if you're already working with it, then you probably don't need a book. But, so, what ARE these "most common tasks for game development" that you want people to write about?
    Yeah, these guys don't really know what they're after, and I'll agree that 400 pages is nowhere near enough to cover every aspect of UDK (hell, that's a 2000-3000 page book/series, and I'm not kidding).

Originally posted by ikifenix View Post
    That would be awesome. A simple game with simple things, but all in unrealscript step by step for people who never script.
    A simple game is a distinct possibility. It's not exactly practical to write a scripting example for people who know nothing about programming though.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by ambershee View Post
    Edit: For the record, I've volunteered to do it, so if you've got any suggestions for content, my ears are open.
    That would be awesome. A simple game with simple things, but all in unrealscript step by step for people who never script. Just for beginners can start scripting and understand it, with little tweaks so we can see what do every part, example: Create a ball as player, make ball rotate when walk, acceleration, deceleration, some physics (like need some speed to run up a ramp, make it bounce whan fall to floor or hit a wall), etc...

I'll be happy doing what I do in kismet, in unrealscript and a little more, the firsts steps are hardests.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I think a more important thing would be, what topics are you planning on covering with this book? 400 pages is not enough to even really scratch the surface of what this engine is capable of.

It is planned to be a 400 page book targeted at Game developers already working with UDK and are looking for solutions to the most common tasks for game development in UDK.

The odds are pretty good, I'd say, that if you're already working with it, then you probably don't need a book. But, so, what ARE these "most common tasks for game development" that you want people to write about?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    From what I've heard and seen, that book is complete garbage written by someone who has never developed anything with Unreal.

Edit: For the record, I've volunteered to do it, so if you've got any suggestions for content, my ears are open.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by NikSha View Post
    A book on Unreal Script for noobs will be better. We have a gazillion video tutorials for everything else (even though 3D Buzz tutorials were more than enough..).
    http://www.amazon.com/UnrealScript-G...3907767&sr=8-1 ?

Or excerpts from Mastering UnrealScript?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    A book on Unreal Script for noobs will be better. We have a gazillion video tutorials for everything else (even though 3D Buzz tutorials were more than enough..).

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Henrik View Post
    Maybe Stephen Chau should write it.
    I was wondering who Steven Chau is, but I just realized that you mean "our" stevenchau... I LOLed like hell man.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Maybe Stephen Chau should write it.

Leave a comment:

• started a topic Book on UDK! Interested to author it?

Book on UDK! Interested to author it?

Hi,

I am an author recruiter at Packt Publishing (www.packtpub.com). We publish computer-related books on a wide variety of IT topics.

We are planning to publish a new book on Unreal Development Kit.

Details of the Book:

Title: Unreal Development Kit Games Cookbook
    It is planned to be a 400 page book targeted at Game developers already working with UDK and are looking for solutions to the most common tasks for game development in UDK.

To give you an idea about the way things works at Packt:

- The editorial team at Packt works with the author through out the project.
    - We pay a royalty of 16% and an advance against it.
    - The marketing team at Packt ensures that the book is well promoted.

Feel free to contact me at maryn@packtpub.com if you are interested in writing this book.

Regards,
    Mary.
Working...
X