Kinect support?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kinect support?

I know that as of right now, UDK doesn't support anything but PC and iOS. Does UE3 as a whole support Kinect or has the implementation or Kinect been left up to the developer(s) who use the full UE3 suit?

There was a lot of interest in UE3 having support out of the box, but at the end of the day, if you have a UE3 license and license to work with Kinect, there's not much to stop you implementing it yourself anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by ambershee View Post
      There was a lot of interest in UE3 having support out of the box, but at the end of the day, if you have a UE3 license and license to work with Kinect, there's not much to stop you implementing it yourself anyway.
      you dont need a license to work with kinect on PC. Microsoft has no control over if a consumer decides to use kinect for pc games. Similar to the story with they first sex kinect game that wanted to get on consoles but microsoft blocked them on X360 so they only can develop on PC.

Plain and simple Kinect on PC is a open field to do whatever.

Comment

You do need a license. You can't just release games to work on hacked hardware. Microsoft hasn't confirmed that Kinect is officially coming to the PC either, so it would have to be using hacked hardware. If Kinect was coming for the PC, we'd have heard more about it by now.

Comment

You do need a license. You can't just release games to work on hacked hardware. Microsoft hasn't confirmed that Kinect is officially coming to the PC either, so it would have to be using hacked hardware. If Kinect was coming for the PC, we'd have heard more about it by now.
          well you arent selling kinect you are just compatible with kinect owners. Your not making a profit of kinect you making profit off the game you developed. An they said kinect was coming to pc before it came out long time ago but not sure if they want to commit to it yet as I understand...

So if I have it where PC gamers can use their X360 controller I need a license?

sigh

Comment

Xbox 360 controller support is built into the newer DirectInput API (XInput). Kinect support isn't.

Comment

Xbox 360 controller support is built into the newer DirectInput API (XInput). Kinect support isn't.
              we know that but dont say we need a license to make games compatible with kinect. Kinect is a controller its just you are the controller which is something you dont need a license for.

Im pretty sure Microsoft doesnt care who uses kinect as long as people are going out to buy kinect.

If epic wants kinect support in UE3 they will make it available to UDK users aswell.

Comment

And until then, you can DLLBind it or something.

Comment

Always read the EULA before making profound statements. It's not 'just another controller' using the existing input frameworks. It's proprietary hardware, using proprietary software. The moment you start reverse engineering it and sharing what you've learnt with others, you're in dubious territory - although the hobbyist hacking scene is generally ignored. The moment you start trying to sell a product based around hacking proprietary hardware/firmware, then you're in more-than-dubious territory. It also only takes one little firmware update to undo all that reverse engineering, and then you have a product which you've sold to people that doesn't actually work anyway.

UE3 Kinect support will be based upon the official licensed implementation for the 360. It is not written nor intended to be compatible with PC hardware or operating systems. There is no official driver, it will not be included in UDK until there is one.

You don't see companies selling hacked drivers for video cards, hacked software for printers or in fact any almost any other device you plug into your PC.

Let's not forget a recent Microsoft press statement either:
                  “Microsoft does not condone the modification of its products. With Kinect, Microsoft built in numerous hardware and software safeguards designed to reduce the chances of product tampering. Microsoft will continue to make advances in these types of safeguards and work closely with law enforcement and product safety groups to keep Kinect tamper-resistant."

Comment

Originally posted by Blade[UG] View Post
                    And until then, you can DLLBind it or something.
                    yea could be something to look into

@ambershee yes but like I said before you arent selling or profiting off kinect you are just compatible with the controller. An kinect is a device that allows you to be a controller so its still a controller fundamentally. Plusits there motto:"You are the controller. No gadgets, no gizmos, just you!"

Comment

I hope kinect can support 3DMAX motion capture tech. to capture any people motion to animation system.

I see , some motion capture machine very expensive , about 10000USD...
                      so if kinect can support 3DMAX motion capture , yo !!! this is great .

Comment

Originally posted by stevenchau View Post
                        I hope kinect can support 3DMAX motion capture tech. to capture any people motion to animation system.

I see , some motion capture machine very expensive , about 10000USD...
                        so if kinect can support 3DMAX motion capture , yo !!! this is great .
                        yea its in motionbuilder right now that tech is out there but its very early stage.

search kinect to motionbuilder on youtube.

Comment

Originally posted by Hboybowen View Post
                          @ambershee yes but like I said before you arent selling or profiting off kinect you are just compatible with the controller. An kinect is a device that allows you to be a controller so its still a controller fundamentally. Plusits there motto:"You are the controller. No gadgets, no gizmos, just you!"
                          An Xbox 360 is just a device that plays games. If you make and sell a game that runs on a 360, you're not profiting on the console, you are just compatible with the console.

Think about what you're suggesting. I'm not going to argue it any more, but please try and sell a PC game that requires Kinect support so I can watch the outcome.

Comment

everyone can give me kinect to MotionBuilder youtube video ? I don't found , I try more more key word to search youtube...
                            everyone give the video????

3D Video Capture with Kinect
                            this video only capture video , don't MotionBuilder

Comment

Originally posted by stevenchau View Post
                              everyone can give me kinect to MotionBuilder youtube video ? I don't found , I try more more key word to search youtube...
                              everyone give the video????

3D Video Capture with Kinect
                              this video only capture video , don't MotionBuilder
                              sure here you go:
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJGJBpz_Oec

Comment

Working...
                              X