Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to create an MMO with UDK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not aiming for a huge team, I know that it wouldn't be great to have a small team (maybe 10?) but it may be the only thing I have.

PS: What's f2p?

Comment

Originally posted by rednaz View Post
      Not only that, but the only MMO that has really been successful since WoW has been Guild Wars. Nearly every other MMO has flopped. It really isn't worth the effort unless you have an experienced team and even then it probably isn't worth it.
      City of Heroes?

Comment

f2p generally means Free 2 Play.

I was thinking I could not pay my small group (I know, I know) and search for parts to use for my server(s). This should cut the cost quite a bit (correct)?
        Yes but you'll never get a product built to run on the servers. To build a decent game you need decent programmers, artists and so forth. If you don't offer decent exchange for services then people who have good skills are really unlikely to help, especially when the end goal is for you to make money.

You're jumping the gun.

Your biggest cost isn't going to be things like hardware or software. Your first biggest cost is how you plan to pay people. Not paying people is not a solution.

Comment

As per my knowledge, making an MMORPG out of the Unreal Engine would require an insane amount of changes to the engine to make it work. Believe me when I say it's not an easy task. I'm quite certain nobody has made an MMO with the free UDK yet

Comment

This discussion has been beat to death and back on here. Most times it ends up with a locked topic. I haven't seen any of them end with a positive outlook on the idea, and a new topic pops up about once a month.

Comment

What if I have a small group of 15 people: some level designers, an artist, a 3d artist, some programmers, and I have some good programming books. I pay them ~$8 an hour, they work a few hours a week part-time. As for the servers/service, I can pay that off now, then make up for it for the MMO, I have some friends who have a lot of spare computer parts, so j can scrap most of the parts for the servers. After a few years, maybe it could work out?

Comment

I pay them ~$8 an hour, they work a few hours a week part-time
                What kind of developers do you think you're going to get for $8 an hour? Hell, people make more money here in New Zealand from just flipping burger patties.

Why are you even building servers right now? It's not needed. You need to build the software first.

Comment

True, actually I was thinking, what if I don't pay them during development and then give them a percentage of the profit?

Comment

True, actually I was thinking, what if I don't pay them during development and then give them a percentage of the profit?
                    This is considered royalty or deferred payment.

A lot of veterans I know don't often work for these schemes because 99% of projects tend to fail.

Comment

True, and I don't know anyone who could help me with the project, except for maybe a hardcore gamer cousin of mine...

Comment

If your cousin has no usefull skills in game development then you more or less have no one to help you.

Comment

actually I you guys are thinking about this all wrong a MMO is basically a persistant world. So since you can have 64 max players then no world can have no more than 64 so say they want to go to another world you have to have all servers using the same user data of how ever many players are active. This is where excel would come in to manage this information. But it is possible just you wont have hundreds of players at the same place at any given moment.

Comment

I am working on MMORPG framework for an unreal1 engine based game, entirely with scripts (have no access to unreal source) and third party programs.

So far, it is working fine, players can travel between servers/maps. The only limitation is max number of players per server/map.

If the project goes well, I might port it to UDK platform and create MMORPG framework for UDK.

Comment

Originally posted by one1 View Post
                              I am working on MMORPG framework for an unreal1 engine based game, entirely with scripts (have no access to unreal source) and third party programs.

So far, it is working fine, players can travel between servers/maps. The only limitation is max number of players per server/map.

If the project goes well, I might port it to UDK platform and create MMORPG framework for UDK.
                              i believe when I see.

Comment

and if instead of an MMO was an online game based on missions in groups of 1 to 8 players?

just as is done in Monster Hunter

someone could at least tell me how do I start the server? the teleporter to the maps I already have but don't know how to do the server to map

for example: I have the map where the mission will be made, how do I connect my 3 other players on the map and join my team?

http://forums.epicgames.com/showthre...0#post28939300 <- link to the thread

Comment

Working...
                                X