Akira (anime) streak lights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Akira (anime) streak lights?

I have a dune buggy witha lot of lights, it would be so cool if i could have these lights leave long streaks like the lights do in akira.

Ive also seen this type of effect in games, where some monsters eyes will leave trails too. anyone know how to do this in udk? always wanted to do something like this.

At 1:15 you start to see some really good streaking lights.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7joa...ayer_embedded#!

Try looking at the jump-boots particle effect, that's pretty close to what you're after.

Comment

You mean, ribbons?

Comment

possibly ribbons? i dont know, whatever could let the lights leave those streaks along the screen, thats what i wanna do. any ideas?

Comment

There's that weird metal spikey ball thing in the UDK Demo Map that has ribbons trailing off the tips of the very oddly moving spikes. You might want to start looking at that. It's a particle effect edited in cascade. What I would try first is socketing that particle effect to the lights and see if you can get it to work. If it does, you can copy it and edit it to suit the right thickness, texture and color of what you need.

Comment

Yea I'm quite sure this effect is done by a ribbon that fades near then end of it's self so as you move it gives the effect of a light trail when really it's just a effect. Back in the day I recall things like this being done with circles that would to a light burn, then fade out - with enough them you got a fading trail that light up like a tron light line.

Comment

Originally posted by Teds View Post
              possibly ribbons? i dont know, whatever could let the lights leave those streaks along the screen, thats what i wanna do. any ideas?

yup ribbons, like in the old iPod commercials. In After Effects you create an emitter that emits a custom stamp with some sort of irregular shape with a custom transparency level, and their color overlay is set to add. It is essentially a 3 dimensional photoshop brush. As the emitter moves it releases a static particle stamp at that position. As the stamps overlap in 3d space it creates the appearance of a streak.

Comment

Working...
              X