Running 32 bit instead of 64 bit.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running 32 bit instead of 64 bit.

I noticed that the 64 bit of the UDK is very taxing on my computer. Is there any way that I can run the 32 bit instead?

64bit allows you to address more memory which translates into you editing larger scenes within the editor.

What's your specs?

You shouldn't be having any problems with it...

[edit]

Also, press ctrl+shift+esc

How many processes are you running?
    One of them may be interfering...

Comment

Originally posted by illincrux View Post
      64bit allows you to address more memory which translates into you editing larger scenes within the editor.

What's your specs?

You shouldn't be having any problems with it...

[edit]

Also, press ctrl+shift+esc

How many processes are you running?
      One of them may be interfering...
      My Specs are
      4 gigs ram
      Nvidia Geforce 9600 Gt
      AMD Athlon II X4 620 2.6 ghz

And I have 91 processes running. It looks like svchost is the second biggest killer with the the first being the UDK itself.

Comment

Yeah, given your precess count...you're either running many instances of the same process or you've managed to way over burden yourself with too many constantly active processes of who knows how many types...

First step in this resolve, go into the control panel and start removing every program that you KNOW for a fact you don't need.

If after removing all of the garbage you don't see any speed improvements within udk...I would suggest updating your graphics drivers and if that STILL does not fix any thing...just reinstall.

As it stands, you're running an insane amount of processes.

Comment

Processes: 89, CPU Usage: 12%, Physical Memory: 80%

On a 2gig machine, my standard workload, I don't have UDK loaded right now.

AAM Updates, acrotray (how the hell did that get in there), AppleMobileDeviceService, audiodg, AutoHotKey, 4 Bluetooth processes, cmd.exe, a half dozen Citrix processes, Console, csrss, Dock64, Dropbox, DesktopWindowManager, Explorer, GoogleCrashHandler, iPodService, iTunesHelper, lsass, lsm, Bonjour, MySQLD, 3 NDAS processes, NMSAccess32, nTuneService, Stereo Vision Control Panel (why?!), 3 NVidia Driver Helper stuff, 2 ObjectDocks, Opera, Pidgin, PresentationFontCache, Realtek HD manager, Rightmark CPU Utility, RTSHookInterpo, SearchIndexer, SeaPort, Services, 2 Skype procesess, smss, spoolsv, sppsvc, srvany, Steam, 15 svchost processes, 2 taskhost, Subversion Cache, TweetDeck, a UCC for an Unreal-Engine-2 game server, UltraMon, UltraMonTaskbar, a couple more Citrix processes, WinInit, WinLogon, Windows Live ID, WMP Network, WOTgreal, Windows Script, 3 Xfire processes.

91 doesn't sound excessive, but it does depend on what they are. If SvcHost is chugging up tons of CPU time, there's a bad problem there. Without UDK running, sort by CPU -- anything sucking up a lot of CPU time, besides System Idle?

I'm going to guess there's some kind of malware involved here. Maybe a good run with MalwareBytes and Ad-Aware would be a good idea.

To answer the question, though, you can use the udk.exe that is in Binaries\Win32 instead of the one in Binaries\Win64, but it's probably not going to help you, as the problem isn't likely related to that.

Comment

You can't always count on task manager to determine what your bottlenecks are...

On a winxp machine, you can get your process count down to 12. although, on Vista and and win7...they are both a bit of a hog on processes, in which case, the bare minimum jumps up to 32+.

All I can say, take control of your services and processes. There's no reason for any of them to jump up to 90 unless you're running 50+ apps at the same time - Which is way out of hand.

Comment

So I found out how to run the 32 bit version and I can get it to run smoothly at 120 fps without anything. The 64 bit version on the other hand can barley get to 20 with no objects.

Comment

That doesn't make any sense at all, whatsoever.

illianquinn: 90+ processes seems rather normal, actually.

Comment

Working...
                X