Plug n Play Helicopter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

once you have added and compiled the scripts, google if you dont know how,
    in the editor, open the content browser (where you see the meshes and everything) look at the top of that floating window and click the Actors tab.
    look for Vehicles, click the little + to expand it, select the helicopter, drag it onto your map, press play and go flying around

Comment

Originally posted by tegleg View Post
      hello there

heres another wonderful vehicle for yall to play with, a helicopter. November UDK and Newer.
      theres still a bit to do before its how i want it but most of the basics are all there so i thaught id share it.
      *there are various fixes in this thread*

it has animated rotor blades that snap off on a collision (well certain collisions, feedback please?).

the tail rotor doesnt break yet, if someone knows how to change what happens on player input? ie no right and left turn.
      and how to add rotational force to a vehicle, for spinning out of controll.

This zip has all the scripts and package files as well as the 3ds .max file.
      by downloading this file you agree to give feedback http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4685265/Tegleg_VH_Heli.zip

as usual put the files in your udk instalation in the folders indicated in the zip.

Check this out for an added bonus!, heres the same model beautifuly reconstructed by UnWheelModeller, many many thanks .
      Its just the VH_Heli.pk file.
      http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4685265/VH_HeliPk.zip

Making Your Own
      Double click the heli Skelital Mesh in udk, View - Skeleton and Bone Names for a visual reference.
      Heres the bone names and a diagram of the heirarchy. as well as the mesh to be skinned.
      The model should be in 3 seperate meshs. Body, Main Rotor and Rear Rotor. mesh names are not important, bone names are.
      Export it in the same way you would a car with a body and wheels (search goedav tutorials)

0 = dont skin this bone to anything.

Bones - Mesh

Main - body
      | | |
      | | AnimBone - 0
      | | |
      | | RotorBone - Main Rotor
      | | | |
      | | | RotorBone002 - 0
      | | |
      | | RotorBone001 - 0
      | |
      | GunBase - 0
      | |
      | GunRotate - Gun
      |
      RAnimBone - 0
      |
      RRotorBone - *Rear Rotor*

Note: *Rear Rotor* (the bone not the mesh) is rotated 90 degrees along the X axis.
      ei if you dont rotate the bone, it will spin in the same direction as the main rotor.

place RotorBone001 and RotorBone002 at the ends of the main rotor blades, these are used in the script to detect a collision that will break the blades off.

AnimBone is the pivot point for the Main rotors.
      RAnimBone is the pivot point for the Rear rotors.
      GunBase is the pivot point for the Gun.

once its in UDK, open the Socket Manager and create a new socket called GunViewSocket
      this is where the camera attaches to the heli.
      look at Cicada for other sockets you might want to copy.

ask if you need further details

heres a little vid of the blades breaking, bits of blade come flying off but you cant really see it in the vid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6INuRr7ZjU

enjoy

you could almost do a udk remake of this (by far the best heli game, add a bit of combat and its perfect)
      Hello,
      I cant find it in the "Actor Classes" section in UDK.
      And ive also get warnings. Please Help me!
      I need a chopper!

Comment

Hi tegleg, first thanks for your work and time.

Im using udk 02-13 and I have some bugs with your helicopter, Im making a FPS game and there are 3 bugs:
        1- Whe a helicopter is destroyed, by a rocket for example, it stays upright till the end, when falling and when is on land and you shoot it.
        2- sometimes you can drive the elicopter when its destroyed, it can fly as normal, but you still can use it.
        3- when baldes collide somethink, broken rotos is spawning till the collision ends (continously, I had around 50 broken rotors from only 1 helicopter)

Thanks for all!
        - Nes

Comment

1 - thats beyond this vehicle, afraid you are going to have to get your hands dirty in code for that one
          2 - http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/...1#post28494169
          3 - add a bool to make sure it only fires once

this is only a start for you to make into whatever you want

Comment

I added this to UDK, but i cant place it... how can i place it? o_O

Comment

make sure it says placeable

eg
              class This extends That
              placeable;

Comment

I cant get none of thies zip files to open. I have 7zip but it will not extract the contents. 7 zip just keep saying cant open file.

any help think you????

Comment

-redownload the file and try it again
                  -use another program like winrar

Comment

What's the trick to get it to float?

Arlan

Comment

float?
                      press Space to go up, C to go down?

Comment

I get the up and down, but if I want to hoover in one spot and drop bombs how do I make the helicopter hoover, Once I let go of the space bar it drops to the ground.

Comment

are you using the script unaltered?
                          is it still a UTVehicle?

Comment

Yes, right from the zip file into the classes folders, no changes.

Comment

i havnt tried this in a long time so something might have changed in the engine codebase.
                              have a look in DefaultProperties of the cicada and see if theres any differences, particularly have a look at the sim object.

Comment

Working...
                              X