Couple Newbie Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Couple Newbie Questions

First of all I would like to say that I am new to the UDK and am interested in learning how it works so I can use it for my projects. However, a couple things confuse me... I'm sorry if this is the wrong place for questions like this, and if there is documentation available for this/a better place to post please direct me to it.

1) My main question is about the cooking/packaging process. I'm a little confused on how it all works. According to the documentation I've read, all the assets and packages are all "mixed together" in the C:\UDK\UDKGame directory. Anything you compile or cook goes in this directory. This is confusing, because if I were to click "package game", how do I specify what I want the UnrealFrontEnd to package into my game? Will it package everything? Or does it only package based on what is referenced in my specified maps?

2) Also, is it possible to create a new folder, in order to make my project unique from "UDKGame"? For example, could I save my files to C:\UDK\MyGame instead of UDKGame? I'm assuming this is possible, as it would get messy if not. My question: does the UDKGame contain functionality necessary to derive from in order to make a game using the UDK, or does it only contain functionality necessary for the Unreal Tournament demo to run? Basically: could I copy+paste the Engine folder, rename it to my game, and then develop from scratch, and only be missing the Unreal Tournament demo assets? Or would I be missing functionality useful even for a scratch game?

3) if 2) is true, how do I specify to use this new package when building with UnrealFrontEnd?

Sorry for all these questions (I am thoroughly confused), any help would be appreciated a lot! Thanks!

Maybe this will help you out. It gives some info on setting up your own folders and getting your game started. http://www.hourences.com/an-entire-simple-udk-game/ Good luck.

Comment

Ah thank you very much! I didn't think of using a new UDK installation for each project (with its own Binaries, Development, Engine and UDKGame), I had assumed that everything was done from one install under "C:\UDK\UDK2010-12" not "C:\UDK\MyGame". Thanks!

Comment

It appears that the new UnrealFrontend is basically just storing some configs for each list of maps to cook.

Comment

When I package my game, does it package everything, or only the files referenced from the designated levels to cook? (And the .ini files)

Comment

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/ContentCooking.html

Comment

Sorry Thanks!

Comment

Sorry Thanks!

Comment

no need to apologise, i missed that document for the last year or so

Comment

Working...
                  X