No announcement yet.

Epic Games Releases December 2010 Unreal Development Kit Beta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You cant load up the editor with the new FrontEnd? Thats sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Blade[UG] View Post
      It looks quite readable on both of my CRTs .. Although personally, I think that the Frontend went from "mostly useless" to "almost completely useless" except during the cooking process, now. People used to use it to switch between editor, compiler, and game, I think, but now all it does is package.
      Indeed. I was just about to chime in and say the same. You can't even set game resolution in a comfortable way anymore. The whole thing looks like it was designed with only style in mind, not usability. And even that goal was failed: the old one was self-explanatory, but I think I need to read a manual for the new one first and won't be any cleverer afterwards. :/

I can't even launch the game in a simple and convenient way anymore, it's probably done somehow with that launch button, but the whole profile stuff screws it up probably because I assume it will launch the map that is mentioned in the profile and not the menu by default. Can't really test it because it freezes when I try to launch it with that button.

Why does it's icon look like a piece of cake btw?

Comment

Originally posted by TheAgent View Post
        You cant load up the editor with the new FrontEnd? Thats sucks.
        Really ?
        I did not pay attention to it, since I use the UDK Frontend...

Comment

There are shortcuts in the UDK menu in your start button for "Editor", "Game", and "Mobile Game" .. should probably be one for "Mobile Editor" also, unless "Editor" goes to the mobile editor, I don't really know. I use the windows command line to do most everything anyway - I'm seriously old school.

I've had a lot of people show up on my IMs recently, asking how to start the editor now.

Comment

i have installed and take a quick look, very good, is awesome the mobile support, thanks Epic, good realease !!!!

Comment

I'll wait to Jan. beta.

Comment

I'd love to see android compatibility - I hate Apple with a passion, they've become the stereotype Microsoft used to be.

Although I'm sure there'll be great success having a decent engine running on the iEverythings now, good luck to everyone who develops.

How would the licence work by the way? Would Epic take 25% from the total revenue, or from the profit after Apple takes their percentage?

Comment

Epic's cut comes from the license holder's gross revenue, so Apple takes their cut before it hits your gross.

At least Apple's products aren't mediocre trash, like many of Microsoft's have been.

Comment

Report !
                    We have a bug with the bsp shadows ! :\

http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=756046

Comment

In prior builds, my assets in the content browser had a small icon in the lower left to show that they were not loaded, but at least I could see the assets. In the December build, I don't see anything when I click on a package except the message "Nothing to show; check your filter". Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks.

Comment

djohn: something regarding game asset database, i've never seen the function work in any version, though, vaguely surprised someone has

Comment

Thanks, Blade: It's been hit-and-miss in all of the builds that I've tried (I started with the May 10 build). As a noob, I often realize that I should have put assets in a different package (or make the package bigger than the recommended 300 Mb) and when I use the move/rename option, everything disappears. Not sure why Dec 10 is worse, but it's comforting to know that it's not just me.

Originally posted by Blade[UG] View Post
                          djohn: something regarding game asset database, i've never seen the function work in any version, though, vaguely surprised someone has

Comment

As a follow-on to my last post, I noticed today when I started up the UDK editor, I got a familiar dialog - something about checking assets. It occurs regularly and (foolishly) I don't pay much attention to it. It's something that the editor wants to do regularly, and it doesn't take long so I click OK and do something else in the meantime.

After it happened today, however, I noticed that I could now see my assets in their packages, albeit with the "not loaded" icon in the lower left corner. After a quick check of the number of assets, I did a "fully load" on a few of the packages and the asset counts were the same - meaning that I can browse for a texture for a material without having to full load all of my textures.

Unfortunately, I don't see a menu item in the editor to do this when I need it. Does anyone have any idea how to trigger this check manually?

Comment

Working...
                            X