X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dec Build Release Party and Infomation Thread

*** Just released: UDN:Mobile Home ***
    IT IS LIVE -> http://download.udk.com/UDKInstall-2010-12-BETA.exe

Current link to check for download: http://download.udk.com/UDKInstall-2010-12-BETA.exe

IOS + UDK Information - What we know so far
    Sourced from: UDKC: IOS

Epic Games is planning to release on Thursday a update to UDK that will include the tools to create UDK powered games in IOS format into the Apple App market.

The updates seemed to be targeted at upgrading the tools to support HQ graphics and animations on the iOS and the ability to deploy a cooked package to iOS.

Android Development seems to have stalled due to file size constraints needed for UE3/UDK games. Epic is not abandoning development but is waiting on google's solutions to this problem among others.

Confirmed features of the December UDK Beta:
    • An additional editor for making iOS Apps. Build levels, visually script gameplay events and add visual effects for mobile applications using the Unreal Editor and its major tools, including Unreal Kismet, Unreal Cascade and Unreal Matinee.
    • Superior rendering features for mobile development, including Unreal Lightmass global illumination accelerated by Unreal Swarm distributed computing.
    • The full source and content for the "Epic Citadel" App, plus an additional castle demo map.
    • A built-in mobile previewer that makes it possible to emulate games at native resolution for quick iteration.
    • UDK Remote, a handy tool that enables iOS devices to serve as wireless controllers with full touch and tilt functionality for testing games on the computer.
    • New Unreal Frontend system compiles scripts and deploys builds for multiple platforms with the simple click of a button.

Message from Mark Rein
    Read in full here

New Source Code!
    Forbes states the same about the upgrade to tools for lighting and rendering. New however to the marketed message statement of a "feature [that] will enable the iPhone or iPad to become a wireless controller, with full touch and tilt functionality, for playing games on a PC" as well Forbes notes "the code and content behind Epic’s demo game Epic Citadel will be available to developers." which is incredible news.

IRC Release Party
    Because the December (IOS build) has not dropped. Currently a party is underway where a group of us are chatting and watching as we wait for the drops of news and eventuality the download link. We have quite a turnout of new people from around the world. It would be great to see more turn out and perhaps shatter some IRC records.

News Sources

New updates:

IOS Related FAQ + New Changes:

Q : What's new in the December UDK Beta?
    A: While Epic makes countless improvements to the engine every month, brand new features and content that users will immediately notice are:
    • An additional editor for making iOS Apps. Build levels, visually script gameplay events and add visual effects for mobile applications using the Unreal Editor and its major tools, including Unreal Kismet, Unreal Cascade and Unreal Matinee.
    • Superior rendering features for mobile development, including Unreal Lightmass global illumination accelerated by Unreal Swarm distributed computing.
    • The full source and content for the "Epic Citadel" App, plus an additional castle demo map.
    • A built-in mobile previewer that makes it possible to emulate games at native resolution for quick iteration.
    • UDK Remote, a handy tool that enables iOS devices to serve as wireless controllers with full touch and tilt functionality for testing games on the computer.
    • New Unreal Frontend system compiles scripts and deploys builds for multiple platforms with the simple click of a button.

Q: What operating systems are compatible with UDK?
    A: The development environment for UDK runs on Windows PC. It's currently possible to create executables for Windows PC and iOS (iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPad, third and fourth-generation iPod touch).

Q: Is Mac hardware necessary to develop for the iPhone?
    A: Mac hardware is not required to develop iOS applications with UDK. Submitting iOS applications to the App Store requires Mac hardware.

Q: How do I know what features are being worked on or when a feature is released?
    A: UDK Builds are typically released monthly. The UDK Build Upgrade Notes details the latest features and updates.
    You can download the latest version from the UDK Download site.

Q: May I license UDK for iPhone?
    A: Unreal Engine 3 for iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch is an R&D Project that is still in development. There is no licensable product for UDK.
    For more licensing-related questions, please see the UDK licensing page.

Q: Could I set up a website and put games onto it, but not sell the games, just make money through ad sense?
    A: Collecting revenue from ads on a site designed as a portal to your UDK based games doesn't make your games free. It just acts as a proxy to direct revenue collection from your UDK applications. If you are collecting ad revenue as a proxy to collecting direct revenue from the game you will require a commercial license and Epic is due a royalty.

Q: In what intervals are the royalties checked? monthly? quarterly? yearly?
    A: Quarterly, no later than 45 days after the end of each calendar quarter.

Q: ""...under a license that is not from Epic Games"" Does that mean if you do obtain license from Epic Games, (eg, the 25% royalty commercial license of UDK), you can freely use the content packaged with UDK?
    A: This means you cannot release your UDK application (code and content) under terms that we did not grant you. For example, you may not release your UDK application into open source or under a GPL, LGPL type license as we do not convey the rights to you to do so.

Q: I just want to be clear on the royalty side: 25% is on Net earnings by the developer, correct? Not Gross sales on portals I hope.
    A: The 25% royalty is calculated on the revenue the UDK licensee receives by commercializing their UDK application. It will be defined in the Commercial Amendment to the EULA to "includes, but is not limited to, revenue earned from: sales, advertisements, sponsorships, endorsements, subscription fees, rentals, pay-to-play, services you sell or are remunerated for in connection with the use of your application and amounts a third party pays You to develop or use the application."

Q: Can we change the static UDK splash screen in our UDK apps?
    A: For UDK:Mobile apps : You may not alter the "Powered by Unreal Engine" logo but you may put whatever you want immediately following.

Comment

Holy ****! Can't wait!!!

Comment

Really cool link about the IphonePackager

Thanks Lamont for posting it in IRC!

Comment

UDK Remote Released: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/udk-r...398375618?mt=8

Everyone is downloading it in IRC. Sounds like its fun!

Code:
          [09:07] <Shuyinsama> got the UDK remote app installed
          [09:08] <Shuyinsama> now the UDK itself
          [09:08] <TOP-Proto> link?
          [09:08] <Shuyinsama> hold switching to windows brb
          [09:08] * mib_e02wkm (mibbit@p54B9034B.dip0.t-ipconnect.de) has joined #UDKC
          [09:08] <Shuyinsama> the UDK itself needs to come online
          [09:08] <EricBlade1> :)
          [09:08] <@Sir_Polaris> Benifit of IRC is that you don't miss anything
          [09:09] <WolfOfMoonlight> yea that poor server bloke is even now cursing the day he said "Yea I'll just upload that file for you Mark"
          [09:09] <@Sir_Polaris> lol
          [09:09] <EricBlade1> it annoys me that i don't even own the device that my first professional video game title comes out for
          [09:09] <@Sir_Polaris> http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/permalink.php?story_fbid=176365202387902&id=177614648930758
          [09:09] * Shuyinsama (~Shuyinsam@83.232.64.2) Quit (Quit: Get MacIrssi - http://www.sysctl.co.uk/projects/macirssi/ )
          [09:09] <TOP-Proto> i got udk remote too now
          [09:09] <@Sir_Polaris> I'm calling for people to trash the link :D
          [09:09] <@Sir_Polaris> From where top?
          [09:09] <TOP-Proto> appstore
          [09:10] <TOP-Proto> on my iphone
          [09:10] <WolfOfMoonlight> udk remote?
          [09:10] <TOP-Proto> yeh
          [09:10] <@Sir_Polaris> http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/udk-remote/id398375618?mt=8
          [09:10] <@Sir_Polaris> thanks :D
          [09:10] * trolololo (mibbit@238.Red-83-43-177.dynamicIP.rima-tde.net) Quit (Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client)
          [09:10] <WolfOfMoonlight> Can anyone else hear that quaking sound....is that..unity?
          [09:10] <TOP-Proto> thats for the testing remotely
          [09:11] <TOP-Proto> i guess it shows on pc screen
          [09:11] <TOP-Proto> but you move on iphone to test
          [09:11] <TOP-Proto> Usage 
          [09:11] <TOP-Proto> Once you are on the main screen with a valid address set up, and your PC is running in Mobile Emulation mode, simply touch and tilt the device to send the data to the PC. The game should respond to the touch and tilt just as if it was running on an iOS device (how your game uses touch and tilt is up to you of course!) 
          [09:11] <TOP-Proto> yep :P
          [09:12] <WolfOfMoonlight> nice
          [09:12] <TOP-Proto> i see alot of udk players spazzing out lol#
          [09:12] <WolfOfMoonlight> downloading now
          [09:12] <mib_49bhym> Works exactly like Unity's remote

Comment

I didn't even realize it--but you could actually release an iOS UDK app without submitting to the app store--although of course it would make it harder to get out there, but it's still an option--I like that

Comment

****, i check my phone and see that UDK iOS is out, rush to my Windows 7 64-bit pc and windows won't start, better get reinstalling then.

Comment

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UDK-Ce...77614648930758

Live video stream going up for those who can't download atm. Keep a eye of facebook there for the link.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir. Polaris View Post
                  http://www.facebook.com/pages/UDK-Ce...77614648930758

Live video stream going up for those who can't download atm. Keep a eye of facebook there for the link.
                  I'm on a phone, so where Will the stream be hosted, Jusin.tv?

Comment

Nope Ustream, going up real soon. Just need to get some pants on (j/k) (I need food and to take a wizz, been blowing down UDK for a few hours non stop)

Comment

Oh **** my internet is slow!! :@ I will go through the new UDN stuff and enjoy at least.

Comment

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/11466945

What the UDK remote works like.

Comment

Working...
                        X