bug: FBX SkeletalMesh importing is broken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bug: FBX SkeletalMesh importing is broken

Importing of SkeletalMeshes from .fbx files has been broken atleast in the three previous releases of UDK, currently testing with the newest release. Log doesn't provide much help as all it states is "Address = 0x17258a5 (filename not found)".

Below is a sample .fbx file that crashes udk on import. Though I've tested with files exported from blender, official fbx converter, sample fbx files, ... and all of them will crash udk, as long as, they are imported as SkeletalMesh.

anim_body_test2.fbx

use actorx until it works thats what i do

Comment

That fbx file contains a series of shapes that arent considered meshes. When you import a mesh it assumes there will be bones and something skinned to it. While I agree it shouldnt crash, this is not the format expected. Try to bind some skin to your bones. Also this FBX file would work as an animation (which you import through the animset editor) but not a skeletal mesh

Comment

The mesh works just fine for example in the March release of UDK. Could you show me a sample fbx mesh file that works with the latest release, as I've seen none.

Comment

Your FBX file must be of this version 2011.3.1. Don't expect it to work properly if you're using an older version of FBX. If that's the case, download the latest FBX plugin from Autodesk.

Comment

Thats the first thing I tried, but it doesn't make any difference. The FBX SDK (which UDK uses) documentation also says it supports importing FBX all they way from 2.5 to current version.

Comment

Remove the two shapes and bind your skeleton to the cube mesh and then it will import. Also your mesh has no UV's so it will not look correct when you apply a material to it.

Comment

Thanks, got it working. Have to modify blender fbx exporter to match this structure.

Comment

Originally posted by tenttu View Post
                  Thats the first thing I tried, but it doesn't make any difference. The FBX SDK (which UDK uses) documentation also says it supports importing FBX all they way from 2.5 to current version.
                  True, but as per my findings, it still doesn't work properly. For example, my test FBX meshes used to be of version 2006.11, and they are imported successfully, but it doesn't import the UVs in the second channel. It also doesn't import LODs created in max. I had to upgrade, then these issues were resolved.

Comment

Yea, I guess it might matter with some of the more advanced features.

Would anyone happened to know how the Animation Sequences are named when importing from fbx? Seems it only uses the filename and name of the first "Take" in the file.

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/FBXIm...UserGuide.html

The naming guide uses $3 and $4 terms, which are not explained. It seems that fbx animation importing only supports single animation per .fbx file, am I correct? This is quite weird as fbx file can easily contain multiple animations.

Comment

Working...
                    X