Poll: Quake III HD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poll: Quake III HD?

Hello, so I think everyone here thinks that Quake III was a very good game. Good gameplay, a fair weapon system, and wonderful skins that you can find almost everywhere. The graphics are good, great, but with new technologies, Quake III is starting to get left behind.

Just like Unreal 1, Quake III is a good game, and I think it needs to be revived with better graphics...

I know some people who could help me set up a team for all this, we could have NO CHANGES!!!!!!! It would be the exact same game (although I do think that we'll include some good mods).

The weapon system would be exactly the same, we would also include the Grappling gun, with the same neutral skin and everything!!! We could also bring back the Gauntlet, I mean, who doesn't like a humiliation now and then?

But I want your opinion first, tell me what you think, any ideas for mods, or anything else? (Note: You can give me gameplay ideas, but I'll include the ideas in mods, not the actual remake).

Well, as long as you don't name it Quake, I'd say go for it, unless id really doesn't like that you'd make it. Check with them first.

Comment

They'll probably have some pretty strong words to say about such a project, even if they do release their older tech into the open source world.

Comment

How would I make sure its okay with id?

Comment

I would say no--just because it was good back then doesn't mean it would be good now. Release something like that now would make for a very generic shooter.

Comment

Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
            I would say no--just because it was good back then doesn't mean it would be good now. Release something like that now would make for a very generic shooter.
            Quake LIVE!
            Because some games are just too **** good to die or get old..

Comment

Originally posted by NikSha View Post
              Quake LIVE!
              Because some games are just too **** good to die or get old..
              ^ Pretty much. I wish they'd release all the newer shiny content for regular Q3 as well though

Comment

Okay, but how about map packs based off of Quake III maps?

Comment

You could just make "HD" maps for Quake 3?

Comment

How would I make sure its okay with id?
                    You ask them. They're likely to say no though.

It's also ironic to make a Quake style game within Unreal Engine.

Comment

Quake III isn't about the visuals, and most player that was playing it seriously actually turned down the graphic options to get almost flat surfaces and bright skins.

To remake Q3 in UDK would be a massive project, to get all the balancing correctly and player physics.

Otherwise, there's already Quake Live mentioned, and Warsow is a pretty good alternative to. If you're really serious about this, I would rather suggest you work from the Quake 3 source code, that has been released and is freely available.

Comment

quake♥

i don't get why people don't just try to make a game inspired by the original and not try to become a target for legal action :/

plus i bet it wont be long till u get the C&D because quakelive is basically quake3...and making a game using their IP when they still are using it to generate revenue...bad idea

and on the unreal engine :|

Comment

True, but what about Quake II?

Comment

It's still their IP. You would need to ask them for permission to use Quake anything.

That doesn't mean you can't make your own arena FPS, as Dn2 suggested. Just don't name it Quake or have it blatantly ripping off id Software.

Comment

I think their biggest problem would be your using Unreal engine.

Why not use the Quake 3 Engine, implement all the work people have been doing to improve the graphics of the engine, produce HD textures and models and maps and make it so you have to use it with the original version of Quake 3 Arena and they'll be cool with ti.

Comment

Working...
                              X