Sub-archetypes of objects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sub-archetypes of objects

Is there a way somewhere in the editor, to make sub-archetypes of Objects? For Actor archetypes, it appears that you have to place the base archetype in the world, then you can right click on it and select Create Archetype, and go from there.. but you can't place Object archetypes in the world .. Is there a way i'm missing to do this somewhere? Or should there be a "Create Archetype" option on the right click menu in the content browser, for archetypes?

Thanks

Edit: Hang on misunderstood that.

I believe you have to place the object in the world first, edit it, then create an archetype from that.

Comment

If that's the case, then it is only possible to create a multi-layered tree of archetypes, using Actors .. i'm guessing simply because there's no way to actually create them, not due to some defieciency ..

Comment

Yeah, you can't archetype an archetype.

Comment

You can, but they have to be placed in the world, first, as far as I can tell. (the Using Archetypes UDN document talks about having complex multilevel trees of archetypes, which works. . . but can only be done with Actors, unless there's another way to create an archetype from the object browser .. as is, I only know how to from the Class Browser, or from in the editor view)

Comment

I am still a bit confused about Archetypes. When I learn more I will offer help.

Comment

I remember Jeremy talking to me about this in the past. Right now, I do believe it is technically supported in Unreal Engine 3; but there isn't any options to do it right now.

A potential way to do this, is to perhaps write a script file specifying that it's ObjectArchetype is the archetype you wish to be the parent archetype. Compile, then in the Actor Class Tree you attempt to create an archetype of that. I'm unsure if the Editor will change the archetype value or not however. But given that this is a big hack, it may just crash the editor.

Comment

so, effectively, the right click menu in the Content Browser needs a "create archetype" option when used on archetypes ..

Comment

Working...
                X