This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making a FSP MMO

Can i use the UDK to make an FPS MMO? And would the money i make have to go to Unreal Technology?

I think you have to worry about the money you need to develop your MMO first.

UDK as per my understanding is not MMO-friendly.

Comment

I am going to simplify everything and just say no. If you would like to debate that, there is a thread specifically about MMO's around here somewhere for you to read....

Comment

With the correct engine manipulation and massive scale level streaming, MAYBE...but you're going to have to buy the full license..

Comment

there should be a rule about mmo threads

Comment

Maybe there should be a no responding rule. Like no one can respond to them ever and then we can laugh when the op keeps bumping it.

Comment

Basically... To manipulate Unreal's online code to the extend required for an MMO, you would need to buy the full license. UDK does not come with the game's source code so it's impossible to get the "Massive" part of MMO working.

MMO's also have potentially the biggest production scope of any genre out there. Start small, be impressive. Just look at Pop-Cap

Comment

I'll be the first to jump out of everyone else's line, and say that it can be done, but it's probably going to require a whole lot more work than what you are currently able to do, considering that you have asked this question to begin with.

If you don't already know how to design and build a MMO, you don't have the knowledge required to make use of UDK (or any other game engine) to build it on. If you DO know how, then you'll know how to deal with the limitation that each game server is limited to a maximum number of 64 clients connected to it at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by Blade[UG] View Post
                  I'll be the first to jump out of everyone else's line, and say that it can be done, but it's probably going to require a whole lot more work than what you are currently able to do, considering that you have asked this question to begin with.

If you don't already know how to design and build a MMO, you don't have the knowledge required to make use of UDK (or any other game engine) to build it on. If you DO know how, then you'll know how to deal with the limitation that each game server is limited to a maximum number of 64 clients connected to it at a time.
                  yes I do believe its a solution even I have a few ideas but when everyone comes to general discussion saying "hey I want to make the next biggest MMO how to do this" threads it gets old

Comment

I think everyone's thought about a way to do it, but rather than go through that every time I think ultimately it's just easiest to say no.

Comment

The truth is that yes, it is possible, but no, the development cost of getting networking right is more than the cost of the full license, and working from there.

Comment

Truth be told, I'd love to see someone develop a Dungeons and Dragons Online style game, which should be easily possible with UDK, considering there's only usually ever 6 players in any particular instance of it.

Comment

Let's do it Blade. I'd be all over that. I think anyway we might have different ideas of what you're talking about, where yours makes sense and mine is influenced heavily by Dark Stone.

Comment

You build me an adventure or two, and I'll build an instanced MMO out of it Just to prove it's possible, but probably not in the way that most people want to build multiple-thousand-player-WOWs.

Comment

No, I've been thinking maybe doing it where the player is changed between levels, and it would work kind of like the realms do for MMO's, but do it for individual levels instead of the entire game. Haven't really gotten around to trying it, but no one's told me it wouldn't work. But I also have very little knowledge about how that part of it works.

Comment

Working...
                              X