X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by ffejnosliw View Post
    Alright, guys. A discussion on engine features is perfectly alright, but the bickering has to stop. If it doesn't I will just close the thread.
    Please close the thread... I really am tired of people nagging about my thoughts.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Alright, guys. A discussion on engine features is perfectly alright, but the bickering has to stop. If it doesn't I will just close the thread.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Blade[UG] View Post
    The only disrespect that I see here, is that you come in and make your first-(ish) post, a suggestion post, basically suggesting that most of the subsystems in the engine should be replaced or upgraded, and then you challenge people to tell you why you are wrong.

When we do, you hate the forums, and accuse everyone of being immature and disrespectful.

You challenge the engine we are all working with, with suggestions that border on "this engine sucks", but you don't know how to use it. You challenge us to tell you you're wrong, so we do, and we're being disrespectful and immature.

Obviously Epic is working very hard to keep Unreal Engine on the cutting edge of game engines, while at the same time, provide enhancements that are also making it easier to use, easier to learn, and working very hard on bringing documentation to a level where the average operator can understand it, without having to know the engine inside and out to begin with. They have worked very hard with their partners to get everyone to agree to all the licensing bs that had to happen to make a FREE AAA+ quality engine available to you.

Although what you've said is all in nice words, it demonstrates a clear lack of understanding of many aspects of the engine, or of the development process, or of technology.

Until you said you had read "almost everything" on UDN and 3dBuzz, and then started backpedaling mightily from that, this thread was even going in a generally positive direction.

Additional note: If you took my post in a condescending fashion, I apologise for that. Please try to take everything I say at face value, without reading into it. If I want to insult someone, they will know, for sure, that they are being insulted. But I won't do that in public, unless I've completely lost my temper with someone (which has happened once or twice). If I am short with my responses, it's because I am busy, and I want to respond to your posts, but I don't have time to write a TL;DR message like I do right now.
    I never said the engine sucks. I love the Unreal Engine. The reason for this thread is that I had suggestions. So what if I was wrong on some things according to you? I can say whatever the hell I want. And no, I do not judge the entire forum of this thread, I have been to many posts, Unreal forums are filled with people who think they are this all knowing God, because they have worked with Unreal longer, or have been in the forums longer. Okay, nobody tried to help. All everybody did was say how everything I said, was wrong. They never backed it up, they never told me how to implement it. Okay, and what do you people expect? I have been working with UDK for about 6 months. All I have done is read, a watched basic tutorials.... You act like I should know how to build an entire game, and that it is wrong for me to be a noob. I understand Epic is working hard, I never strolled through and said the engine, sucks or needs the upgrades. I am working with the engine too. And how, tell me, please tell me, how ANY self respecting developer can act in the manner you guys are acting. You are essentially downing someone new to the industry... What the hell? There was no motivation, or anything said that may change my point of view. I guess, maybe I should just quit the industry, and never post again for thinking differently than you. And I should most definitely be scolded, and looked down upon for having an opinion, or a thought. Yes, you guys have worked with UE3 longer, that gives you no right to come and twist what I say. Reading through your arguments, I highly doubt any of you, actually knew what I meant. So why don't you just get of your little high horse and stop trying to correct me, or inform me, and just get on with treating everybody with a level of equality.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The only disrespect that I see here, is that you come in and make your first-(ish) post, a suggestion post, basically suggesting that most of the subsystems in the engine should be replaced or upgraded, and then you challenge people to tell you why you are wrong.

When we do, you hate the forums, and accuse everyone of being immature and disrespectful.

You challenge the engine we are all working with, with suggestions that border on "this engine sucks", but you don't know how to use it. You challenge us to tell you you're wrong, so we do, and we're being disrespectful and immature.

Obviously Epic is working very hard to keep Unreal Engine on the cutting edge of game engines, while at the same time, provide enhancements that are also making it easier to use, easier to learn, and working very hard on bringing documentation to a level where the average operator can understand it, without having to know the engine inside and out to begin with. They have worked very hard with their partners to get everyone to agree to all the licensing bs that had to happen to make a FREE AAA+ quality engine available to you.

Although what you've said is all in nice words, it demonstrates a clear lack of understanding of many aspects of the engine, or of the development process, or of technology.

Until you said you had read "almost everything" on UDN and 3dBuzz, and then started backpedaling mightily from that, this thread was even going in a generally positive direction.

Additional note: If you took my post in a condescending fashion, I apologise for that. Please try to take everything I say at face value, without reading into it. If I want to insult someone, they will know, for sure, that they are being insulted. But I won't do that in public, unless I've completely lost my temper with someone (which has happened once or twice). If I am short with my responses, it's because I am busy, and I want to respond to your posts, but I don't have time to write a TL;DR message like I do right now.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    See dawg you're taking it way too hard. We're trying to tell you things that you seem to want to know more about because you were talking about them, and you like don't seem to want that information? And he's right. You use normal maps now... I use 3DS Max and Render to Texture usually, it's pretty sweet.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    ****, forums. Why is there no delete option?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yup. It is official. I hate UDK forums. Is there any mature, respectful people here? Lol. Whatever, I'm just gonna delete this post.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    You're aware that PolyBump is a fancy, decade old way of saying 'normal map generation tool'?

It was superseded years ago.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Well yeah given that you didn't know about level streaming, I would say you're not qualified to make a statement regarding the size of terrain. You can say whatever you want about it, but you're gonna be shot down pretty quick as was the case. No one's saying you're stupid, I am saying that you are taking this all rather badly right now, previously I was mostly trying to explain why people are attacking everything you said basically. I actually kinda do think your list was stupid, but I think altogether the basic thing we're trying to say as a community is read the documentation and you will solve a lot of what you want to. Also there is an improvements thread already.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by UnspoiledWalnut View Post
    No, we're saying you started a thread to either complain or otherwise criticize aspects of the engine that you are clearly not qualified to talk about. Also you said almost everything, like I just looked at the thing, which to me means almost everything. As in, most of it. Which may have been a misunderstanding I don't know. Like have you read the first post? There are no questions marks to be found there, you're attempting to make statements that have no real standing, not asking questions about things, and getting mad because we're telling you what you're wrong about.
    Wait, How am I not qualified? I don't need to "qualified" for anything, to give my idea, thoughts, or opinions. I am simply frustrated, and disappointed, that people are actually criticizing me, because I am wrong. I personally think I made valid points. Just because I am new, and am not as "smart" to say, people are pretty much calling me down over having ideas, that may, or may not be, wrong. This was a list of thing I(AKA me) think should be implemented in the Unreal engine. Get over it, it's not a hard concept to grasp. I will delete this post, a d refraime from making any other posts on UDK forums, as I see very few people are mature enough to handle being respectful. Good day, Sir.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by TrendKillStudios View Post
    Never said I read ALL of UDN. I said I have read much of it. I have many things to do in a day. Thus, my video game development learning has been slow. You guys are acting like I should apologize, or be scolded for begin wrong. Well, I am sorry I don't know as much you guys. I guess I should just not be allowed to use UDK, or get into video game development, because I am not as informed as you all. See my point. Yes, I may have been wrong. However all of your attitudes towards me, was just pitiful. Why should you be an *** about a newbie being wrong?!
    While I agree with that, but there are alot of new comers asking the same questions over and over, and ppl here are getting bored providing the same answers every time... That though isn't a justification, but rather an explanation.

Before using any product in the world, you need to do a full research, test out things, ask questions about how to achieve X and Y, etc... If you are not familiar with level streaming, that's perfectly fine, but you need to seek information specially when it's actually available. The UDN is the best place to start, if you still find things ambiguous, come and ask, ppl will at least appreciate that you made some effort and searched UDN, forum, whatever.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    No, we're saying you started a thread to either complain or otherwise criticize aspects of the engine that you are clearly not qualified to talk about. Also you said almost everything, like I just looked at the thing, which to me means almost everything. As in, most of it. Which may have been a misunderstanding I don't know. Like have you read the first post? There are no questions marks to be found there, you're attempting to make statements that have no real standing, not asking questions about things, and getting mad because we're telling you what you're wrong about.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by UnspoiledWalnut View Post
    Why wouldn't third party anything not be usable? You would have the source. And no that isn't streaming. That's just loading a different level. Streamed is like Morrowind or Oblivion. The entire exterior is not one big mass of terrain, it's divided into a lot of smaller pieces and is streamed in and out as needed. And I stopped reading there because I really don't care to do this back and forth thing right now. And no you didn't, if you read very much of the UDN I assume that you would have come across the page on level streaming, and there is a lot of documentation there and I don't think you've read much of it because that would take a really really long time.
    Never said I read ALL of UDN. I said I have read much of it. I have many things to do in a day. Thus, my video game development learning has been slow. You guys are acting like I should apologize, or be scolded for begin wrong. Well, I am sorry I don't know as much you guys. I guess I should just not be allowed to use UDK, or get into video game development, because I am not as informed as you all. See my point. Yes, I may have been wrong. However all of your attitudes towards me, was just pitiful. Why should you be an *** about a newbie being wrong?!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Why wouldn't third party anything not be usable? You would have the source. And no that isn't streaming. That's just loading a different level. Streamed is like Morrowind or Oblivion. The entire exterior is not one big mass of terrain, it's divided into a lot of smaller pieces and is streamed in and out as needed. And I stopped reading there because I really don't care to do this back and forth thing right now. And no you didn't, if you read very much of the UDN I assume that you would have come across the page on level streaming, and there is a lot of documentation there and I don't think you've read much of it because that would take a really really long time.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Oh, and I have read almost everything from 3dBuzz, and UDN.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X