Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DirectX 11?

Hi,
    I liked to ask if there are DirectX 11 features in the November release of the UDK, because I saw a few DX 11 options in some windows (Material Editor, Fluid Surface Actor, Static Mesh Editor). Can somebody tell me If there are real options or only place holders.

P.S.: It would be great to know how to use the DX 11 features

There are a few I believe, but I'm unsure of what they are really given that I haven't really tried to use anything above DX9.

Comment

As far as I know they have added DX11 Tessellation but the docs on how to do it aren't complete so we just have to wait.

Comment

DX11 Multi -threaded rendering is the biggest untapped feature for PC. Basically because DirectX 9 didn't support simultaneous rendering in the same way that the extended DirectX 9 on xbox360, and the low-level libraries on PS3 can.

Epic's always led with support for more general task multi-threading. PC DX11 API level multithreading next?

Comment

"scale set allowdx11 true" on console

Comment

Originally posted by Blade[UG] View Post
            "scale set allowdx11 true" on console
            Some features need driver support from Nvidia ,Ati, drivers that, as yet, aren't available. New drivers are also needed to allow multi threading on DX10 class HW:

"Deferred Context interfaces will need to be implemented in software instead of hardware as there are some new hardware-based optimisations for multi-threading with DX11 HW. Because of this, Deferred Context interfaces will not be free-threaded on DX10 hardware and a dedicated thread will have to be allocated to Deferred Contexts at the API level. "

Comment

I was referring to DX11 in general, how to enable it, I don't really know much of anything about it. I remain a higher level programmer type, I'm not a graphics guru

Comment

It's in the BaseEngine.ini near 3 quarters of the way through the document there is "Allow D3D11 = False change it to true.

Comment

Sm5

Originally posted by pulse0o0 View Post
                  It's in the BaseEngine.ini near 3 quarters of the way through the document there is "Allow D3D11 = False change it to true.
                  and does that actually work? cause that would be fantastic...

I was already intrigued by the SM 5 messages I got when installing the UDK.
                  but found noone posting about them, thought it might just support the DX11 cards beter without actually using the entire DX11 spec.

tesselation support could really bump the quality of rendering,
                  and multithreaded rendering could as well as provide better framerate (although i have yet to find games that run better in DX11 then in DX 9 or 10, for instance dirt even with minimal tesselation still runs on lower framerates wen DX 11 is used.)

still very a very interesting development, i did not expect Epic would implement DX 11 into UE3, thought they would wait for UE4 and meybe build a native DX11 engine...

Comment

"scale set allowd3d11 True" also works. Interestingly, some programs identify my old-ish 8600GS as a DX11 capable card, I wouldn't have pegged that as being something that could've changed in drivers...

Comment

Working...
                    X