Question about loading/unloading files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about loading/unloading files

For the final project of my game design class, I've chosen to work on remaking the laboratory from Resident Evil 2 with UDK. Checking youtube videos, detail goes farther than the program may handle and I might have to break this thing up into sections. Is it possible to load a new section of the map during gameplay, say, when openning a door and unload previous sections when the door closes behind you? This may cut down lag during gameplay but can I also work with the sections being seperate files and perhaps join them together in the end? If so, then how? I doubt many in my team know much about programming and my logic of it is dull.

You can use Level Streaming for this:

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/LevelStreamingHowTo.html

Comment

Thanks, that should be all I need. Can I create the persistant level after every other map is finished or must I do that first? I want to make sure that I can download certain rooms other level designers on my team are working on when everything's complete to add them this function rather than make them all in the same file and while under persistant level. Furthermore, the BSP geometry is clunky stuff. Could I model the map in 3Ds Max then import it + still be able to stream it?

Comment

Working...
      X