Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyway to get a static mesh from an older version of UDK to a new one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyway to get a static mesh from an older version of UDK to a new one?

The new version of UDK that just came out is missing the inside static mesh of the Turk_Roof. It still has the outside static mesh but on the inside it is just black, so you need the internal mesh if you want to see the interior of the dome. It is available in almost all of the older UDK clients but for some reason it is missing out of the 11/10 version.

Is there anyway to get the static mesh from the older versions? Thanks.

If it's missing, all you need to do is copy the Unreal package file and place it in the same directory in the newer UDK

Comment

Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
      If it's missing, all you need to do is copy the Unreal package file and place it in the same directory in the newer UDK
      I tried that but it did not show up in the content browser, but I will try it again though.

Comment

I tried copying it again and it didn't show up
        I tried copying the entire 'Content' folder in the 'UDKGame' folder, and it still didn't show up.

Any other ideas? I can probably rig something cheap up in Blender or XSI but I am not a very good 3D Modeler. If I can move it over from an older version that would make my life a lot easier.

Comment

Maybe you're just doing something wrong when you're trying to use the content

Comment

2 Ways I can quickly think of.

1. Open the old UDK and make a copy of the model you want to a new UPK, maybe remove the material from it, save that separately and open that UPK in the new UDK. Not sure how that will go down but a shorter method than method number 2. This method just ensure you don't kill any existing content by copying the whole thing over. It's worth keeping the UDK content as is probably.

2. Go in the old UDK, drag the mesh into the view port, select it and export selected as OBJ. Import the mesh into model software, make sure it's all good and export as ASE. Import the ASE into the new UDK.

Method 1 should work in theory but method 2 will almost certainly work, just takes longer because the need for some possible editing in 3d software like welding up some verts, checking smoothing groups and making sure UV's are good. I've seen that exporting OBJ can move UV's out from the 0, 1 space for some reason. Although it's moved out in the exact UV grid so it's easy to fix it up.

Comment

Originally posted by obihb View Post
              1. Open the old UDK and make a copy of the model you want to a new UPK, maybe remove the material from it, save that separately and open that UPK in the new UDK. Not sure how that will go down but a shorter method than method number 2. This method just ensure you don't kill any existing content by copying the whole thing over. It's worth keeping the UDK content as is probably.
              Yes! Thank you so much. All you have to do is save the static mesh copy in a separate package and it carries over the material just fine.

Comment

Working...
              X