Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time of Day. Why in Matinee?

Hi guys,

Personally I find it is incredibly lazy that Epic decided to use Matinee and Kismet to create the "Time of Day". It may look great to the people that view videos, but a huge pain to re-create in multiple maps and to tweak certain parts. Also it is not really Time of Day it is just a quick sequence. If you wanted it to be properly procedural it should be done by code.

CryEngine(Crytek) had the best editor for Time of Day in my opinion and I thought that Epic were actually going to head in that direction, it seems I was a little naive.

What do you think about this? I suppose the people that always use Kismet (the least useful way to code) will not mind.

You could just copy & paste the matinee and kismet sequences?
    The latest vid and map was just a demonstration that it is possible, it just requires a bit of work. And I don't see why "it is not really time of day it is just a quick sequence"?

Comment

I have no love for Kismet, but I don't talk badly about it, it's probably a great system for doing level stuff. Well, anything is better than the UE2 way.

I'd offer to look at it, and see if I could make some suggestions code wise, but I can't even load that map in the editor, due to being stuck with a GF8600 256mb right now.

Comment

At least it's possible, they may have not made it super easy, but considering all the features that UDK has, if it's something that takes a little bit more work, I don't mind

Comment

Working...
        X