Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UDK Game Modding Support?

Hi guys,

I'm just wondering if it is possible to mod a game on the UDK. So say there is a UDK game that has managed to make a community that wishes to create their own maps and mods on it. Would that be possible? I'm just wondering because there seem to be no editor after you package a game. Only way I can think of is if there is a kind of SDK version of the UDK Game version that would need to be released. Which would really be a normal UDK installation with all the custom content/scripts in there.

Any thoughts on this?

I doubt it is possible, but I'd also like to know this.

Comment

If you have a commercial license, you can package up your development tree, and then they'll have everything.

Comment

it would be possible if the game maker released all the code and everything udk ready.
        and have a flexible enough menu system to easily add the mods to the game.

Comment

I think you would basically need to have an open-source game so that others can open the content. I'm not really sure though, but I'll take a different guess at it may be possible to develop parts of it closed but develop something so that you can call on a map or whatever to open it.

BUT, what it comes down to (as I see it anyway), is that it would be far easier for someone to just use the UDK to make a 'mod' and package and distribute it for free, given that it would be essentially the same thing only it's standalone. Of course they wouldn't have the models and whatnot, but you could release a package with those in it and nothing else I guess. I, at least, wouldn't make a mod for a game when I can use the engine for free. Although I can see some advantages for multi-player maps or something... I kinda lost my train of thought and now I am unsure if anyone will understand what I tried to say.

Comment

It should also be possible, considering that you can mix cooked and uncooked content, that you could cook your game, and include only the cooked assets, while still providing the editor and code stuff, so other people can make use of your content without being able to easily mod it, although that would take a lot more effort on the part of the packaging aspect, it could well be worth someone looking into...

Comment

I think we're all thinking the same thing about having to release a udk development version of the game that includes all the content and using that to generate custom maps and or mods from.

Perhapse someone from Epic can shed some light on this question.

Comment

what light do you need shedding?
                you have a solution that will work.

Comment

Working...
                X