[Tool] Workflow from Max to UDK enhanced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    I think seenooh has changed his mind about releasing this, so i wouldn't hold my breath any more... funny thing about this subject is that i've seen a few other people coming up with st like this and they all were planning on releasing it and they've all gone silent about it after a while.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    It is Mars 2013. Any news on this?

cheers

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Any new word on this? I've been looking forward to this for a while now, keep up the great work seenooh!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    "I'll be posting stuff late January 2013 and make it free for everyone."
    Thanks so much! I look forward to it. I'm glad I posted to the 2010 thread.

I thought it might not be released (or be free), so yesterday I wrote a simple t3d exporter. I managed to get a whole architectural scene into UDK without manually placing a single mesh or placing lights. It currently has some limitations and I'm sure your one doesn't have. I already had an xml exporter so it was extremely easy to modify to the t3d format.
    Currently I manually export the scene to an fbx file, and import that into UDK. Then in the script I iterate over all the objects and write out the t3d static mesh fragments with a custom scale. And I merge it with some other t3d fragments that have lighting, start position and some other stuff. Then I import that into UDK.
    Having to use the fbx file first and import twice is annoying though. Does the t3d file format support embedding the mesh and material information?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    This sounds quite useful, especially the part about preserving instances.
    Theoretically that would allow to do level design (its art side) almost entirely in 3ds max.
    Keep up this great research man!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    This tool would help me too. Thanks a lot in advance for sharing this!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks guys! I have done some serious progress on this tool. I'll be posting stuff late January 2013 and make it free for everyone.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    soundds really interesting,good luck with the bugs.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    sounds awesome man, I'll sign up to test it whenever it's ready to go

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Does anyone have a download link for a free maxscript that exports to the UDK t3d format?
    Otherwise I guess I'll have to write my own.

Manually placing objects from the fbx file is tedious, compared to Unity4 where you can place the entire fbx scene.
    The t3d format seems a more streamlined and quicker import alternative.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I would like to have this too.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by paulv2k4 View Post
    Personally I like the idea. Especially with the second channel for lightmapping and t3d format. I am the same, have entire scenes in Max that would be nice to import properly into UDK.
    Glad you liked it. Actually I forgot to mention that there is a 4th WIP feature which is Lightmap Resolution LOD. Based on how "big" is your object, an approprite resolution will be assigned to it. I'm not sure whether to do this based on the total number of triangles, or just the distance between the max and min points of the object. I'm currently doing this by the latter. I welcome any advices on how to proceed with this.

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Personally I like the idea. Especially with the second channel for lightmapping and t3d format. I am the same, have entire scenes in Max that would be nice to import properly into UDK.

Leave a comment:

• started a topic [Tool] Workflow from Max to UDK enhanced

[Tool] Workflow from Max to UDK enhanced

Greetings,

After going through alot of pain and research, I came up with a tool that will make your exporting and importing procedure much easier (at least it did in my case). I'm going to explain it, and if it interests you guys I'm going to donate it for the community.

It's basically a max script which can:

1- Generate UV maps in the second channel for lightmapping. You select all/some objects in your max scene and press one button, it'll just do a Flatten Map command to whatever you selected. I tested this in a big house I made for Archviz, it has around 400 objects, I got my results within 20 seconds roughly. I'm going to need the expert's advice here in what more I can automate to make the UV layout better. You see, I'm just a programmer and quite clueless about these stuff.

2- Export your entire scene in a *.t3d format. This will help you to like copy-paste whatever you have in your max scene to UDK's scene. You don't need to place your static meshes one by one to the scene. I found this useful when you have large scenes, like my case. Yes, I can export the house I have easily with FBX, but to place every object one by one into the scene is real pain and thinking long-term, I will work with big residential projects, I will have thousands of actors, so I had to make this max script to ease the job.

3- Supports instances. You can preserve your instances that you created in max and have them in UDK. You need to do a little trick in the editor, and you're done. The FBX importer that the UDK has doesn't support it, so I had to find a way, and the solution was in the .t3d file format.

There is one minor issue with the generated t3d file, is that it is enclosed with qutation marks. I don't know why max script is doing this, but anyways, I open it up and delete them. It's still a WIP, I need to research this more. One thing to note, you must use max 2011, or 2010 (not tested), because any earlier versions will not import your second UV channel.

So, what do you think?

Hamad
Working...
X