Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone done a slider type character creation tutorial?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm guessing that it was a series of values.

Comment

The sliders could be a distance/angle between bones, so say a eye distance slider is turned up, the distance between bones rigged to the eyes & surrounding move further away.
      In blender: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3LFZJjfRI8

I'm not sure how you would translate that into UDK though, but maybe you could use TCP/IP and link C++ into UDK.

Comment

This is how I would do it. I have used a similar method for character stats tracking and model/texture selection.

This is basically wrote, it would take a few days to perfect.

I should mention that this is designed for multiplayer, singleplayer would be a lot easier.
        • Create some morph targeted meshes in 3dsmax or maya.
        • Use scaleform to create a few generic sliders for each morph you have created.
        • Utilize some simple INI C++ DLLBind (or UnrealConfig) commands to link your scaleform selections to a save file.
        • In the pawn's postinitanimtree event link up the morph targets being initialized when a pawn is spawned to some global variables
        • In the game.uc, upon start, as a server notify each client to use their defined values - usually done in the startmatch function - use a reliable client command to each controller to adjust the morphs (we found within the Pawn's postinitanimtree event)

-- MORE MULTIPLAYER --
        • Make sure the pawn replicates to the server its morph adjustments by using a (Role < Role_Authority) if statement and a reliable server function with the desired morph numbers as parameters within the Pawn.
        • Create several global variables (in Pawn) with the repnotify tag of each morph target. e.g. var repnotify int Brow;
        • Include these values within the replication area. Use if(Role == RoleAuthority) to place these values under to make the server tell all the clients of the adjustments
        • In the ReplicatedEvent place an IF statement for ONE of the replicated adjustment values e.g if(VarName == 'Brow'){ClientDoAdjustMorphs()}
        • Create a new reliable client function ClientDoAdjustMorphs that once more adjusts the morphs/variables (identified in postinitanimtree).

I was tired writing this, so sorry if I was misleading at all. I doubt I have cleared up the question, but it shows the amount of work needed for it.

Comment

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/MorphTargets.html

Comment

also, if do it so it stores a string of numbers, you could then post said numbers online or something, and other ppl could play as 'your custom setup' by simply putting that number in when you setup up the char

Comment

Working...
            X