New guy here and just wanted to ask

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New guy here and just wanted to ask

Is it possible to make an entirely different game than a FPS game because that's what i've been hearing that UDK can only really make FPS or mods and nothing else and if you want to make something different it's really hard. Me personally I want to make an Action/Adventure game with this idea I have that I'm really liking and im wondering if i'll be able to do this with UDK or not. Thanks for everything.And again I'm new XD

yes it is...you can do everything you want...the default udk stuff is just sample content, but of course you can make your own stuff...there are also RTS, puzzle, 2d side, and adventure games made with / being made with udk...but if you want to make a game that is not using the default udk stuff, you'll probably need a programmer for all the coding stuff like at every game production on this planet...

Comment

You can make pretty much anything you are willing to take the time to learn how to make. It just so happens, that UDK comes with a pre-built FPS game, and it's base code is currently built as a FPS style game. If you have a look in the UDK Showcase, there are plenty of examples of other styles of games, as well as in the marketplace, there are thousands of Unreal Engine games.

Making games is really hard. Comparing "making something that is not a FPS in Unreal" to "making games in general", it's really easy to make something that is not a FPS in Unreal. Hell, right in the documentation (click Documentation) on top, there's a huge code example for how to easily switch the camera to whatever (mostly) kind of perspective you might need.

Comment

All right guys thanks for the info and I have one last thing is using UDK really difficult or with enough time and effort it can be done?

Comment

I guess that depends on how much you know regarding any of the various concepts that you'll need to understand to do whatever it is that you want to do, and how much you enjoy (or not enjoy ) learning new things

UDK is a professional set of tools for building whatever you can imagine, for the most part. It is not "Game Maker Deluxe" or whatever, designed to take plug-and-play things and mash them together in a hodge-podge fashion.

Comment

Honesty I love learning new things I enjoy the challenge, I'm totally new I don't know anything yet but I love to learn and I learn what I want to and I learn fast, so if you could just point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated because I really love the power of the UDK my only fear was that I would only be able to make FPS games and nothing else but if that's not the case then I say bring it on

Comment

Everything takes time to learn. however, as blade said you need to be self motivated.

Comment

I am also new to the UDK but I can see the potential to make some really cool things with it.

Just have to take the time to learn it all.

Comment

Most people usually start out with a particular area. I've been a programmer all my life, so when I got into game modding, I started with programming. Over time, I eventually learned just about everything I possibly could about Unreal Engine 2. Now that we have UDK, I've upgraded my knowledge quite a bit, but there's so much more stuff to learn, that it seems almost impossible for one person to become well versed in every area of it, particularly when starting from the beginning. Advice is to pick an area that you are interested in, and start with that .. and then as you need other pieces, you can learn the additional pieces.

Comment

I see what you mean, honestly I love programming and level designing plus writing my own stories that's what I know I'm good at so I'll start there I guess

Comment

Originally posted by Syonix View Post
                      Is it possible to make an entirely different game than a FPS game because that's what i've been hearing that UDK can only really make FPS or mods and nothing else and if you want to make something different it's really hard. Me personally I want to make an Action/Adventure game with this idea I have that I'm really liking and im wondering if i'll be able to do this with UDK or not. Thanks for everything.And again I'm new XD
                      who ever is telling you UDK is only for FPS and mods doesnt know what they are talking about.

UDK is was released for complete game creation not mods.

You can do whatever you want in UDK (except MMOs). You just need to hone your skills

Comment

Yeah I know thanks for the info though now I just need to look around and get started in the right direction

Comment

Look at all those videos in the UDN i literally suggest seeing all of them for the months to come. Ive seen a lot of students in my school ask me questions on, "how to do this" and that... when the video they were assigned specifically showed how to deal with that issue. Anyway good luck and most importantly enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by Syonix View Post
                            Yeah I know thanks for the info though now I just need to look around and get started in the right direction
                            good luck man keep us posted

Comment

UDK is a fantastic tool mate and one of the best graphic renderers there is out there, keep at, experiment, persevere and then all of a sudden it will just click

Comment

Working...
                              X