UDK for Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UDK for Linux?

Hey guys, I was wondering if the UDK is for linux?

cheers

Martin

No UDK is not supporting Linux.

Comment

i think it should be for linux, i mean udk is free and linux is also free plus there both classed as open source. would work well me thinks

Comment

It's not worth the time to develop a version of UDK for linux since the amount of people that use Linux is so small

Comment

pixxie_payne, there is nothing about UDK that is open source. Here's a small list of things that wouldn't work well:

Bink, Scaleform, Editor, SpeedTree, anything that uses DLLBind

Also, many other things, that simply do not exist at the moment for Linux.

Comment

opensource or not, that doesn't matter. What matters is that Epic (and many other companies) still doesn't acknowlegde GNU/LINUX distributions as a true potential Operating system, because:
            1) They (read managers!!) keep on being inside their ongoing vicious circle, "Linux, nah, it's too small of a market share, too risky, we'll wait till it grows", without realizing that if the premier companies don't make anything for GNU/LINUX, the market share remains too small!!
            2) the real desktop penetration (market share) of GNU/LINUX is quite impossible to measure accurately, since there is no sale records, free to redistribute etc etc..
            3) FUD is the way to turn managers (read people without technical knowlegde, although they themselves claim they are the ORACLE in the business, thus know how to handle/delegate/visionize things. Truth is the oposite of it.. that's why IT in many cases fail horribly) to the fud spreading hand. (the best known FUD spreader is Microsoft)
            4) specific to Epic, they are Microsoft partners, heck Microsoft Game Studios is their main publisher. Logic tells me, you should never fight your boss. (publisher has full control of a development studio in the process of development)

Comment

It would matter to a large quantity of the potential userbase, as even once you get past the dozens of technical issues, economic issues, and you get your product out, you get a polarized user base that is "I LOVE COMPANIES THAT MAKE LINUX GAMES!" or "I HATE COMPANIES THAT RELEASE SOFTWARE THAT ISN'T FOS"

Comment

It could be fruitable to bring UDK to linux as it could generate a huge increase in games for linux (immagine every UDK game working on linux as well) leaving epic with the entire market for themselves while other companies rewrite their engines. Still don't think it'd be worth the costs though, us linux nerds will just have to dual-boot.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Bearhands View Post
                  It could be fruitable to bring UDK to linux as it could generate a huge increase in games for linux (immagine every UDK game working on linux as well) leaving epic with the entire market for themselves while other companies rewrite their engines. Still don't think it'd be worth the costs though, us linux nerds will just have to dual-boot.
                  I agree, if not whole udk (editor and game) at least linux as platform for released game, like they did for ut3 and ps3. I hope Id software proves that linux is still perfectly fine market for games with Rage.

Originally posted by Blade[UG] View Post
                  pixxie_payne, there is nothing about UDK that is open source. Here's a small list of things that wouldn't work well:

Bink, Scaleform, Editor, SpeedTree, anything that uses DLLBind

Also, many other things, that simply do not exist at the moment for Linux.
                  Bink and Dll bind can be easily replaced for linux. Rest not so easy, but if they port only game part all that should work or be ported over without much troubles.

There is one major reason they do not want port to linux :no DRM, with recent pirates hysteria among "educated" managers i doubt any would give ok for linux release of game. Again lets hope that Carmack proves yet again that linux is fine, or even better than directX.

Ps. I am no linux fanboy i just want more diversity, which produces some competition and we all gain from it in quality and prices.

Comment

not relly i use linux and the fact that people who use xbox, play station and wii all use linux aswell as a high % of mobil users

Comment

Xbox (360) OS = Linux
                      you are mistaken my friend.

Playstation (1 2 3) OS = linux
                      partially. Is based on the Linux kernel, but is not exactly Linux. Same as apple's darwin is not FreeBSD, but is based on it.

Wii OS = linux
                      you are mistaken my friend.

Xbox (360) hardware can run Linux?
                      yes, you are right my friend.
                      playstation (1 2 3) hardware can run Linux?
                      for 3:Untill recently, you where right my friend. for 1 and 2, you are right my friend.
                      Nintendo Wii hardware can run Linux?
                      Yes, you are right my friend.

Comment

Originally posted by pixxie_payne View Post
                        not relly i use linux and the fact that people who use xbox, play station and wii all use linux aswell as a high % of mobil users

... what? Xbox 360 runs a Windows kernel, PS3 is completely custom, Wii is completely custom.

Comment

Originally posted by Blade[UG] View Post
                          ... what? Xbox 360 runs a Windows kernel, PS3 is completely custom, Wii is completely custom.
                          Custom means Linux, does not?! And windows is also completely custom made.

Comment

Originally posted by Nawrot View Post
                            Custom means Linux, does not?! And windows is also completely custom made.
                            Custom does not mean Linux, it means something unique

Comment

we've gone a little off topic here i think, as much as i would love to see UDK on linux it just wont happen like alot of things out there, hell when i used to program MTA i was always trying to configure it to run on linux so i could run it on a debug xbox running linux but it never happened.

Just accept and move on

Comment

Working...
                              X