Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to make a stage as big as fallout's exterior map?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it possible to make a stage as big as fallout's exterior map?

What the title says, plus would a "the little prince" orb-type-world be possible?

Yes with some level streaming you can make maps as large as you like. And if im following what you mean by "a little prince" orb you should be able to with some code.

Comment

Thanks.
      By little prince or I mean a full planet with a tiny diameter. I just think it'd be fun to run around.

Comment

If you mean akin to something like Super Mario Galaxy, the answer is yes, it's probably possible, but no, noone has ever achieved a decent implementation (in the three/four years since UE3 was first made moddable).

Comment

Probably not the first thing this non-coder should try then. I guess I'll limit my impossible tasks to creating a decent melee system.

Comment

Originally posted by ambershee View Post
            If you mean akin to something like Super Mario Galaxy, the answer is yes, it's probably possible, but no, noone has ever achieved a decent implementation (in the three/four years since UE3 was first made moddable).
            Actually:
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZu1H-XDx8w
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfpoLYIsOEY
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqIJYmfNnkE

Comment

1) Just uses Phys_Spider and fast running movement speed. There are numerous problems associated with the Phys_Spider implementation that you'll find many people have run into in the past.

2) That's a completely unrelated effect and physical phenomenon.

3) That's because the both the player and world are perfect spheres, and as such it is very easy to use a simple force calculation to hold the player to the surface of the world. The simulation will fall apart the moment you want to use anything other than spheres.

Comment

By splitting the world up into a grid of different levels and streaming them in and unloading them as need be would work. But remember that terrain seams might be a hassle because your terrain would be per level. UE3 isn't really made for this sort of thing. Cry2 and Gamebryo would obviously work but you couldn't release anything standalone.

Comment

while splitting the world into a grid of levels would work, it's probably better to split it by semi-enclosed zones, which would need some design behind them.
                  think of it like WoW, where every zone in the game is some sort of closed valley or a coast with a parallel range of mountains, and the zones then have openings to connect with the nearby zones (in the case of WoW, not every zone gives access to the neighboring ones, making you sometimes have to do big turns and making the world seem bigger).
                  I think I'd summarize it as follows: making a big open world doesn't mean the player can go from 'A' to 'B' in a straight line, and in fact he'd miss a lot of the world if he did.

and about levels and terrain, instead of streaming the terrain per-level, I'd actually recommend to have the whole terrain in the master level, then stream the rest of the level content. I'm actually doing it this way myself but I'm still working on the first level zone so I can't tell if it's optimum

anyway I made a thread a while ago about these topics, take a look at my signature for the link.

Comment

Originally posted by ambershee View Post
                    1) Just uses Phys_Spider and fast running movement speed. There are numerous problems associated with the Phys_Spider implementation that you'll find many people have run into in the past.

2) That's a completely unrelated effect and physical phenomenon.

3) That's because the both the player and world are perfect spheres, and as such it is very easy to use a simple force calculation to hold the player to the surface of the world. The simulation will fall apart the moment you want to use anything other than spheres.
                    Ah darn, I think you're right on all points! I confused #2 with central gravity.

Comment

Working...
                    X