UDK and Export Laws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UDK and Export Laws

Selling UDK based games outside the U.S. is no problem? Or is it?

According to U.S. export laws we can not sell the game to embargoed countries and those countries designated as supporting terrorist activities (Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria).
    But what about other countries? If the UDK contains for example encryption technology, there could be additional restrictions. The UDK does not have an ECCN classification.

I have already spoken to Epic about this topic and we will continue the discussion here so others can benefit from this as well.

Maybe there is an export lawyer on this forum who can help us out?

The question here is: Does the UDK contain encryption technology.

Jay@Epic

Comment

You live in Sweden, how would US laws apply to you then?
      Just wondering.

Comment

It's still good to know. There's a lot of legal issues with selling world wide. Asside from the point he made, every country has different laws about video game content too. So, a game that's perfectly legal to sell in the USA may be illegal in most other countries. A lot of places consider 'Adult Content' such as violence/blood/etc to be illegal. If you make a game like the USA release of GTA or Dragon Age and sell it around the world, you're likely to get in trouble.

Comment

I think in Germany, blood has to be green or something like that, right?

Or another unrealistic colour, because I've seen alot of unofficial patches available for GTA, etc to fix that...

I think since UDK's a property of an American company, it's still bound to American laws, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Xendance View Post
            You live in Sweden, how would US laws apply to you then?
            Just wondering.
            UDK is a U.S. product so U.S. Export laws are applied even if we develop the game on the moon.

Comment

We can control the game content but because we don't have access to the source code we don't know if there is something in the UDK that could be a problem when selling the game worldwide.

Comment

I have been discussing this in meetings with marketing/business friends of mine. We were all worried about the fact age is a main concern.

Basically the best way around this is to release on steam or another software online publisher, as they can control who buys the content from their site.

Therefore you are in no-way liable to the fact the content includes something specifically bad to a particular country. In turn Steamworks(Valve) could disable access to particular countries if they see fit.

Comment

Originally posted by Tjindar View Post
                  UDK is a U.S. product so U.S. Export laws are applied even if we develop the game on the moon.
                  You're not selling UDK, you're selling your product, which was developed using the UDK tool set.

Comment

I spoke to counsel and he asked me to post this reply.

No Epic Games software or product incorporating the UDK may be downloaded or otherwise exported or re-exported (a) into (or to a national or resident of) Cuba, Libya, Sudan, North Korea, Iran, Syria, or any other country identified as a terrorist supporting country or to which the United States has embargoed goods; or (b) to entities on the munitions’ control list, U.S. Treasury Department’s list of specially designated nationals, or the U.S. government’s table of denial orders.

Jay@Epic

Comment

Working...
                    X