Where to start with development?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to start with development?

I just finished setting up the UDK, and making the proper changes so I can finally start making a game.
    I have an idea in mind, but I'm lost as to where to start implementing it. It seems like there's a million pieces to do, and I don't know how to fit them together, especially since the idea will be somewhat different than a standard shooter (although it will still be one)

Where do you usually start with the game development after having a concept ready?
    With Levels? Weapons? Players? Overall game rules? Or maybe something else?

wherever u want tbh, i started with weapons

Comment

Make your movement and test dummy character (if you do not want default biped animations from udk), this allows you to see scale of level, size of corridors, doors windows. Then you can start coding any tricky (wall climb jump, barel roll etc.) movements. And if you have artist monkey he/she/it can start making art.

Comment

Thank you guys. The movement will pretty much be the same, at least for now.
        I'm thinking of maybe starting with player's abilities(like morph and build sentry) as this will be the main focus of the game and I think may be the hardest(the trickiest ). What do you think?

Comment

I'd say start with the 3d moddeling/all thats involved, it takes the longest and you cant really start programming until you have characters/weapons/vehicles to code with. also leveling is the easiest so id save that for after all the 3d stuff is done

Comment

I say start learning code. Making new gameplay mechanics is the ish!!! You can make stuff like new weapons types, character abilities(TK). Second, is animation. That's the hard stuff, I think.

Comment

Morph controls are a decent place to start... as long as you have your models and textures in first so that you have something to morph.

Comment

Wow thank you all for your replies!!

@shellc0de:
                I'm not a 3d modeler, so I will have to rely on the default models until I get my game from a concept to something a bit concrete.

@Kinos
                What did you mean by TK?

@Wyldhunt
                I do. I'm playing around with Pawns at the moment to see how to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonov View Post
                  @Kinos
                  What did you mean by TK?
                  oh, my bad, I meant telekineses.

Comment

Working...
                  X