Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UDK Silent Installer

Hi

I'm a system administrator at a 16-18 education establishment trying to install UDK on batch of 40 machines for a Games Development course.

We use Microsoft Config Manager OS Deployment to install the machines within a Zero Touch format. To do this we use the slient install switches built into the installers.

Unfortunatly I have been unable to install UDK silently as it does not appear to contain any install switches.

Would it be possible in future releases to add this feature into UDK? This would be great help as it would prevent me from having to visit each machine everytime a update is released (This happens to be about once a month at the moment).

You shouldn't need to reinstall UDK every month. If you do this, you're going to introduce incompatibilities with existing student projects when features are replaced or altered.

Comment

You'll have to create your own custom installer for UDK using NSIS etc. Just use all extracted data from the installer to generate your own installer.

For the pre-requisites, you can extract them at installation time, run them individually, in silent mode, then delete temp files.

As a shortcut, you could use the UDK Frontend to create an NSIS installer for UDK itself (use a blank manifest file, with at least 1 root element). Then run that installer using 'InstallerName.exe /S'

Comment

Silent or Migrated Install?

I'm moving my question to support; continuing this thread from General Discussion doesn't seem like the proper location to me.

Comment

I'm with RussH. It would be super nice not to have to repackage UDK every time a new release comes out simply because it doesn't support any command line flags for a silent installation.

While I agree 100% with ambershee's logic, the problem that we have is students are working on projects on their home computers and bringing them to school. They are very likely to install the latest version rather than the ancient two-week old version that we have installed in our environment. Problems ensue.

Please incorporate more command-line switches to the installer to accommodate more installation environments.

Comment

Bueller? Bueller?

Comment

You could mandate a specific release to be used .. or run the whole thing off of a network share, rather than installing it to every computer ... (schools do still use network shares, don't they? yeah i've been out of school for 15 years)

Comment

Originally posted by ambershee View Post
                You shouldn't need to reinstall UDK every month. If you do this, you're going to introduce incompatibilities with existing student projects when features are replaced or altered.
                New computers, or a new semester where a computer wipe is required are good reasons to reinstall UDK. Reinstallation at a school may happen more often than expected even if it is just the manager's prerogative.

Comment

Pretty sure UDK works if you copy/paster it, just let each student use their own space to copy their version of UDK on. Saves you downloading and installing it entirely

Comment

You can try passing the -ProgressOnly switch to the installer. That will bypass dialogs including the EULA agreement during installation, but then require it to be agreed to on first run of the application. I have no clue how it will act within any special network install apps or environments, however.

Comment

Originally posted by ffejnosliw View Post
                      You can try passing the -ProgressOnly switch to the installer.
                      Is there a publicly available list of command line switches the installer will take? I tried --help /? -? -help, all of which returned zero. I should at least get some usage instructions when I pass an unrecognized flag. Take grep for example:

Code:
                      $ grep --wang
                      grep: unrecognized option `--wang'
                      Usage: grep [OPTION]... PATTERN [FILE]...
                      Try `grep --help' for more information.
                      Originally posted by ffejnosliw View Post
                      That will bypass dialogs including the EULA agreement during installation, but then require it to be agreed to on first run of the application. I have no clue how it will act within any special network install apps or environments, however.
                      So the app still needs to be launched by an admin user after the setup. I'm looking for support for a completely hands-off installation in a lab environment full of students that don't have admin privs. Would Unreal consider an MSI installer rather than a proprietary-ish installation system? I've tried to repackage the app several times with our in-house Wise workflow, but the built-in dependencies always get in the way of a clean installation.

This would be ideal:
                      Code:
                      msiexec /i udk_whatever_beta.msi /qn /norestart
                      An MSI would also open up easy installations for the SCCM folks, since their workflow relies very much on silent/unattended installations.

Comment

Hey, no grepping wang here, this forum is not for that kind of thing.

^^ found that by running "UnSetup.exe /?"

Comment

Originally posted by Blade[UG] View Post
                          Hey, no grepping wang here, this forum is not for that kind of thing.

^^ found that by running "UnSetup.exe /?"
                          Please forgive me if this sounds incredibly dense, I'm new here.

So, you're telling me I need to run the installer, UDKInstall-2011-02-BETA.exe, before I can run the setup program, UNsetup.exe, silently?

Just to clarify my position, I'm just trying to get UDK on a bunch (300+) of computers w/out sitting down at each one. I'm not trying to install games (although, that is another ball of wax...).

Also, UnSetup.exe seems like a oxymoron to the uninitiated. If I didn't know it was "UNreal", I would think it was a poorly named uninstaller. In fact, I've avoided running it because I wanted to keep the software, not un-set-it-up.

Comment

No, UnSetup is the installer (and also the packager). It is a multi-use program. You can run the installer with the -ProgressOnly switch to avoid dialogs, but no matter what you do you have to agree to the EULA at some point (either during installation or on first run of UDK). There is no way around agreeing to the EULA.

There was another workflow suggested by someone else here (before that switch existed I think) at Epic I posted in another thread:

http://forums.epicgames.com/showpost...66&postcount=3

Again, you have to agree to the EULA using that method as well.

Comment

Hi all,

Sorry for the grave dig but I'm having a little trouble with the above. The -ProgressOnly switch doesn't do anything. I'm just calling the
                              Code:
                              UDKInstall-2011-09.exe -ProgressOnly
                              and the EULA is opening up as normal

Am I missing something? I'm in the same boat as other in this thread, I need to deploy on about 500 computers across 4 cities.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Working...
                              X