Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where is the documentation on Unreal Swarm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where is the documentation on Unreal Swarm?

This is another problem I am having. Where is the documentation on Unreal Swarm? Could someone point me to a tutorial where they have a step-by-step process on how to setup master/slave nodes for doing lighting in UDK? What are the requirements, etc.?

Thanks!

I think these are the main pages with Swarm info and setup info:

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Devel...#Swarm%20Setup
    http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Swarm.html

Comment

I can give you the basics as I know them. It should be enough for you to figure it out:

Open the Swarm Agent (In UDK -> Binaries) and click on the Settings tab.

SETTINGS

Cache Settings control the location, size(In Gigs!), and history of the cache file. This should be a location on the local machine with plenty of space.

Developer Settings only has one setting (ShowDeveloperMenu), which will show extra settings that we'll need in a bit, so set it to TRUE.

Distribution Settings are the main settings for setting up networks.
      • Agent Group Name = the Group that this computer belongs to. You can have as many groups as you want and they can be named anything. If you have a dedicated Swarm Farm, then you'll want all of the slave terminals to be one group, and all of the master terminals to be a different group.
      • Allowed Remote Agent Group This is a coma separated list of groups which are allowed to access the terminal. If this is a work terminal, you probably want to leave this empty or "Default" so that it's a bogus name.
      • Allowed Remote Agent Names This is a coma separated list of terminals which are allowed to access this terminal. If this is a work terminal, you probably want to leave this empty or "Default" so that it's a bogus name. Note that it uses the network name of the terminal.
      • Avoid Local Exicution If this is set to TRUE, then Swarm will not attempt to do any lightmass work on this terminal. If this is a work terminal, and you have dedicated slaves, then set this to TRUE.
      • Coordinator Remoting Host The Network Name of the terminal running SwarmCoordinator.exe (In the Binaries folder).
      • Enable Standalone Mode will instruct the terminal to do all lightmass work locally. If you have dedicated slaves, this needs to be FALSE.

General Settings Contains only Bring To Front, which will force Swarm to open in front of all other windows on the screen.

Log Settings contains the font and verbosity of the log file.

Visualizer Settings Allows you to customize the job reference colors in the Swarm Status window.

The developer settings tab that shows up when you set the Developer Settings option to TRUE contains fine tuning settings which are mostly self explanatory. You can set the timeout and number of cores to use locally or how many to request from slaves. You may set the priority of Swarm on the terminal, etc.

Remember that SwarmCoordinator.exe should be running on the terminal named above at all times. That is the program that controls the flow and connections.

EDIT: ffejnosliw beat me to it!

I'll leave this here as a quick reference sheet anyway.

Comment

Working...
      X