[Opinion] Class extensions for different genres of games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Opinion] Class extensions for different genres of games

What are your thoughts on PlayerControllers extensions when it comes to RPG, strategy, action games, racing, etc for efficiency?
    Also, if you will, your thoughts on AI controllers?

What are you asking? You will mos likely need to extend PlayerController and AIController for everything you could ever want to make.

Comment

As another point of view, for my team's project, we've decided to extend at the controller level, as we need some basic functionality changed. Though, to be honest, a lot of the "extra" stuff in the Controller subclasses is going to be reinserted into our Controller class.

I mean, the only real answer to this question is, "it depends." You just gotta eat your Wheaties(TM), and dig in at the base class for each class hierarchy you want to look at.

For instance, if you want a first-person RPG (FPRPG?), you might start extending directly from GameInfo, but use a UDKBot modified to work without UDKGameInfo.

Comment

I hate a great many things about the standard controller setup when it comes to creating an RTS. At a certain point I even missed the scene-graph engine I was working with previously, but that was caused by more than just controller classes.
        However I realize UDK is not and RTS engine so it makes sense to do things this way and eventually I allways manage anyway.

Comment

Working...
        X