Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I can work alone in UDK, without workteam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can work alone in UDK, without workteam?

Hello, I'm looking for a good "game engine" to create my own game, I have to see: Unity 3D and UDK, frankly I like the fact UDK do great things, but I have still a doubt.

I've been checking Unity 3D, and I can say that it is really easy, I'm programmer Delphi and C # and a little JavaScript (Very little), The first test went well in the Unity 3D, I created a basic game.

Now, since yesterday I started to see the UDK, and my question is:

If me study a lot UDK Will it be possible for me to make a game? I mean without a work team, myself, Is it possible? or do i need a mandatory work team?

thanks!

This all depends on your skills and size of game.

For sure you can prototype game and gameplay, it does not need pretty graphics or sound effects. Simple games that do not require tons of animation and props are doable without team.

I would say go for engine that is easier for you to learn, learning will be most time you "waste" without real game progress.

Comment

The simple answer is"yes" you can do a game in UDk alone, i made asci-fi shooter formyfinal year college project. But it requires learning C++ and UScript to get anything unique done.Using Unity3D you can use Actionscript or some other languanges so its pretty open if youalready know one. but for UDK, you need to learn Uscript

Comment

thanks for your answer, i will start to learn UDK now, thanks for all!, one question plus:

- Is Very hard learn UScript? or Is UScript equal to C# for instance, but different syntax?

Comment

The main problem in learning UnrealScript is not really learning UScript, but learning how the engine works within native code (netcode, ticking...), the relationship of classes already laid in the engine and how it all works and relates.

The syntax is very simillar to Java/C++/C#. It's a common object-based approach, it just has some new statements like the replication statement (to replicate data and events through net), states, some new modifiers for variables, etc.

Comment

okay, one last thing, I'm a gamer and I would like to create something similar to "Mario Galaxy" or "New Super Mario Bros" or "My Sims" or "Zelda", I'm alone on this, without staff, this would be as a hobby for me, Would you recommend me learn this engine for my dreams games? or Better Choose another game engine most simple?

thanks, give me the answer, may be the final to start learning UDK

Comment

please, one response.

thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by maxdelphi View Post
                okay, one last thing, I'm a gamer and I would like to create something similar to "Mario Galaxy" or "New Super Mario Bros" or "My Sims" or "Zelda", I'm alone on this, without staff, this would be as a hobby for me, Would you recommend me learn this engine for my dreams games? or Better Choose another game engine most simple?

thanks, give me the answer, may be the final to start learning UDK
                You could use UDK if you liked. Remember is not about what engine works better. Is what engine suit your needs. Which one you find better working with and all of that.

For games like Mario, Mario galaxy and those types. You dont need to use UDK for it, although you could. A more simple engine could do the task perfectly. For example Unity 3D.

Comment

I'm between the knife and the wall, since you are quite right, but there are problems that make me rewind a motor to another, for example:

Unity 3D (free version)
                  No shadows (in the free version)
                  No BSP
                  No Simulation of water
                  The lights are of very poor quality (free version)
                  and other issues than are important to me.

however, in the UDK the only problem presented is as follow:

The UnrealScript, which is very difficult and unintuitive to manage, and there is no "IDE" decent for it.

These are the points that make me think too much.

Please, I need a little guidance.

thanks and sorry for the inconvenience

Comment

You can always grab a version of Visual Studio Express (which is free) and download nFringe.

There are also plenty of tutorials to learn how to set it up.

Comment

Unrealscript is not very difficult and unintuitive to manage, if you have any experience in any object oriented programming language, ever. You don't need an IDE for it, all you need is a text editor. (many people's first UnrealScript "ide" was "notepad" and "ucc make" [now called "udk make"], which is really all that is needed)

Not to start an engine comparison, but UDK is almost a completely different -everything- from Unity. If I wanted, personally, to do a multi-platform Flash-style 2D game, except not in flash, I'd use Unity. If I wanted to do anything else, I'd use UDK.

Comment

okay, thanks, i am testing XNA than is a Framework, no a GameEngine, but is most Intuitive and obtains IntelliSense in VS2010, in nFringe equals obtains IntelliSense but it isn't perfect, the problem in UDK is only the script..and the Unity 3d, I explained reason of because i am not interested to this engine(Unity3D).

thanks!

Comment

Working...
                        X