Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unreal Frontend

Hi again everyone! *waits for applause*. . . *cricket cricket*

Well . . . all I wanted was to ask a question . . . u guys are mean!! Ok. . all I wanted to ask was that if I were to make a stand-alone game with say . . . Visual Basic . . . but the actual game being UDK ( I made the maps and stuff in UDK but I made the launcher and stuff with VB)
    and I run Unreal Frontend, will it compile the VB script with the UDK . . . stuff?

since you think you know me (claiming i'm mean), i will play along that line..

i know the answer.. but won't tell you!

Comment

why do you need a launcher?

and no.

Comment

Ty Blade[UG] and I hate you Saymoo for being a bad member of this community! I tried to make a joke and once again, someone comes to ruin it! I want to make a launcher for my game for two reasons. 1. When I release my game, I don't want people to have to download/install UDK because a) it takes time and b) then they can make their own games and I won't get any money! Which is BAD!! and 2. I find it looks more professional than what say . . AFF Planetstorm (which is a good game, don't get me wrong) has. I want it to look as source-code intense as possible. It makes me look better!

Comment

Erm, you do know that UDK will bakecompile your game down into a self-extracting installer, right? Open up the frontend and look at the Package Game button. All(?) the showcase games come from an .exe made by that. The installed games use a stripped UDK.exe that dosen't allow the editor and have some other changes like (IIRC) all your textures being moved out into a giant seekfree archive thingie.

Comment

Yeah, none of your points have any bearing in reality. Package Game, and you're done, providing you have configured the INI files appropriately.

Comment

I think I know what he's trying to say. When you install the package, the setup wizard has UDK logos and stuff, and completely irrelevant to the game itself. He doesn't want that, but instead he wants a know what to execute through VB to start the game.

I would say package the game and install it in some folder. There will be an exe so that's what you want. I'm not sure if you can just copy and paste the extracted files to another machine (assuming that it has DirectX installed) and start the game. You need to test that.

Comment

Originally posted by SomeGuyUKnow View Post
                Ty Blade[UG] and I hate you Saymoo for being a bad member of this community! I tried to make a joke and once again, someone comes to ruin it!
                Once again? wow.. just a handful of posts and you can say "once again". That would mean that you have a conflict in every post, right?

Anyway, you ask, we provide. Simple. :P
                He who shoots the ball, can expect a return.
                In other words, lighten up!

Comment

Lol u guys are awesome! And ty for standing up to me seenooh! Thats pretty much what I meant. And ty for the good advice!

Comment

No problem... Tell us how this goes with you... I'm interested.

Comment

K. U guys are a great help. I'm just thinking though, is UnrealScript hard to learn? And which language is it closest to ( Visual Basic, C++, C# etc. )? My last question, although i think you can, I want to double check. Can I make my entire game with UnrealScript ( including mulitplayer) and then connect it to a (or more) servers programmed with Visual Basic? ( Visual Basic is the only language I know and I don't really know much about it either) Thanks in advance!

~CEO of VAB Entertainment
                      (Too bad we don't exist yet)

Comment

1- Closest language, Java.

2- Yes.

Comment

1. Aww about Java! I don't like Java! (probably because I can't wirte it yet )

2. I though so, just wanted to double check.

Comment

Working...
                          X