Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Small request concerning non-US keyboard layouts..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small request concerning non-US keyboard layouts..

Could you add support for using the "," instead of the "." when entering float values in the UDK editors?

In Germany for example we write 1.677.024,563 instead of the American 1,677,024.563 and our QWERTZ layout takes that into account as well (that layout makes coding already harder than necessary ), so it would be nice if the UDK would also accept the "," for decimal fractions so that we can enter all the stuff directly in the NumPad area without needing to reach over to the other side.

Swap to US keyboard layout :P Is what I do when I every once in a while go get my hands dirty in the code, so to speak..

It's not optimal having to learn where some of the buttons moved to.. But you get used to it

Comment

I know that I could do that (I could probably even get a US keyboard here somewhere), but it's more about the principle and will probably help more people if Epic just changed some possible input instead of having hundreds of people changing their keyboard layouts every time they work in UDK.

Comment

Agreed. being a finn, I'd also like to use decimal comma instead of dot
        It's kinda confusing since in 3ds Max I have to use the comma instead of the dot, but in UDK it's vice versa.

But anyway, it would be a nice bonus.

Comment

Originally posted by Xendance View Post
          Agreed. being a finn, I'd also like to use decimal comma instead of dot
          It's kinda confusing since in 3ds Max I have to use the comma instead of the dot, but in UDK it's vice versa.

But anyway, it would be a nice bonus.

God yes.. And then in FumeFX you use .. I can't remember which. But it confuses me alot. - HENCE! I simply swap between US and Swedish layout .. that way it's the same button location every time :P

Comment

Sounds like some programs need to obtain the Localization settings from Windows, and make use of them!

Comment

Impossible, that would be very error prone.

Because you probably also want to be able to use 123,45 in the configuration files (otherwise it'll just be inconsistent) and then when you run the game within a different localization various things break.

It's stuff like this that make MS Excel a serious P.O.S.

Comment

We handle this in another program I work on by storing all the decimals in non-decimal form, and then formatting them to the localization. Of course, it should accept either form of localization input, and display the one appropriate to the computer's locale, in Unreal's case, I'd expect. That's just my opinion on the matter, it seems like it's somethingg easily handled, really.

Comment

Working...
                X