X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unreal Engine on iPhone

Check this sweet piece of Unreal Engine on iPhone:
    iPhone 4 Unreal Game
    When are we gonna see that in UDK too? I mean the iPhone licence is free, not like Xbox or PS.

actually.. iOS development license costs $99 a year (and an Apple computer):
    http://developer.apple.com/programs/ios/

Comment

http://www.iphonefreak.com/2008/03/free-sdk-vs-990.html
      It's free but you can test it just on a simulator. Kinda like UDK(99$ too, if you want the real full licence pay 99$).

Comment

Here's a good example of Unreal on iPhone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASE5uScZolg

Comment

So.... How did you manage to get your hands on the iPhone SDK? Are you from Epic or a licensee? The first one's shader looks Unreal-ish but, a part of the source of DunDef is open source so we know it's really unreal, and I'm really really really really curious how you managed to get it on iPhone. Jaibrake can't be, so maybe you hacked the Tegra system with a magic recipe or formula .

PS: If DunDef would use the iPhone's gyro feature, it would be really really coooool

Comment

See my signature

Comment

Mdeah... Got it...
              Money, money, and money again. Why do people want money for their hard work? Air is free, ocean water is free, mud is free too. I mean mother nature worked really really hard on them. Why don't people give their hard worked stuff for free? Who cares about the devs at apple? I want that SDK for free.

PS: winAPI is free, DirectX SDK is free, a whole bunch of other stuff like that is free, the programming tools are free(and that's why microsoft is better than apple)

Comment

Of course, if you want access to Microsoft's Developer Network, at more than a basic level, you're going to pay through the nose for it, or at least several years ago, that was the case - I have no idea if that has changed in recent history. And the Microsoft compilers are rather expensive, as well You're also not going to get into Xbox or Playstation development for free, either.

On the bright side, the cost of entry to ALL of these things has become considerably less and less, but I, for one, definitely have to admire the quality standards that Apple has adhered to so far with the iPhone and it's apps. Apple has a vested interest in making sure that quality and user experience are far beyond the average in the Windows world. That said, I still have never figured out MacOS.

Comment

Hey! Hey! Don't forget about the Microsoft's MSDN subscription(11k$), but if you're smart enough(well, just spread the word, fill up Microsoft related communities, and so on and so forth) you can be proposed to become a MVP, 33 grands in a shot, a nice polished trophy, and the most important, they come in cool blue boxes.
                  And yeah, that's free... Completely free.
                  If you're not so fancy with the whole set of tools, there's alawys the free version of the compilers(that's what I was talking about). And... Where did you see: Learn MacOS SDK in 24 days? On windows there a tons .

The XB and PS licences I heard they are as expensive as *** (I don't know if it's true but I heard it's around 20k$)... For the main thing not XNA and other arcade-ish stuff.
                  But they are 'real' gaming consoles, not 'smart' phones, so in my opinion iPhone development isn't so fancy, as XB or PS. The billionTH app and game...

Whatever, I'll cut the chace, they price their work, it's their job .

Comment

From what I can gather, Dynamic DLL Linking is not allowed under Apple's TOS. Is this correct? If so, it'd be nice to have things like a proper HTTP library and XML parser built into the engine, as we can't build them ourselves.

Comment

Hey Blade.... what is the larger tablet device in that video?

Comment

It's a Tegra.

Comment

Tegra is a system-on-a-chip by nVidia, not an actual device. And iirc it's actually a Tegra 2 based system. As to what device it actually is, it looks like an nVidia reference device:
                          http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/nvidias...et-20-05-2010/

And yes, it's Google's Android OS.

btw, they showed UE3 running on a Tegra 2 based system half a year ago: http://techtickerblog.com/2010/03/18...e-go-hands-on/

Comment

On the subject of "..and you need an apple computer", this isnt as bad as it sounds, you can pick up a dead intel-based macbook really cheap off ebay,. they're far cheaper to get 1 or 2 new bits to fix up yourself than they are to buy new, either that or you can ghost the HDD and run a virtual machine and just use the stupid macbook for compiling/publishing. IPhone development is a nightmare to get started with, but once you're confident with the language and apples god aweful IOS then you'll be alright, and theres good money in Iphone apps, even if apple do get 30% of it

Comment

For UDK on iOS you don't have to mess with Apple's SDK. It's all UnrealScript goodness

ps, in case you didn't know, Apple backed down on their retarded requirement of C/C++/ObjC/Apple-JS. So an iOS UDK is legally possible.

Comment

Working...
                              X