Object placement array

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Object placement array

Is there any way to handle placement of multiple objects in an array like you can in Max or Maya? I want to be able to duplicate an object multiple times about its pivot.

What do you mean? I don't get it, explain more.

Comment

Is there any way to select an object and duplicate it multiple times, affecting translation or rotation values for each duplicate. For example, place one pillar and duplicate it radially to create a circle of placed pillars.

Comment

Hi gingernugget,

Static meshes added from the Asset browser are already instanced, so you should be able to do just that. Holding down "S" and clicking on a surface will add whatever static mesh is selected in the Asset Browser to the world, repeatedly if you like. "Ctrl-W" also duplicates the selected Actor.

As far as changing rotation or position, I think there is a way to do this randomly. I saw it in Hourences' first Eat3D video, but can't for the life of me remember the method now. I'm sure someone else will chime in with that tidbit...

Comment

Originally posted by gingernugget View Post
          Is there any way to select an object and duplicate it multiple times, affecting translation or rotation values for each duplicate. For example, place one pillar and duplicate it radially to create a circle of placed pillars.
          All placements are possible somehow.

Just for example, you can place them in a circle as you mentioned. How? To do that put one instance of that pillar where you want. Then while the pillar is selected right click in top viewport right in the center of the circle, under sub menu 'Pivot', select 'Move Here (snapped)', after that go to this sub menu again and this time select 'Save Pivot To PrePivot'.

Now your ready to place them in a circle. Just press space couple of times until you have rotation widget. Press and hold alt, rotate pillar as much as you want, by leaving alt you have one copy, Press and hold alt and rotate it as many times as you want. All of them will be in a circle that you specified it's radius and center. You can still select each on of them individually to rotate, scale or tweak it.

As I said it's just an example. If you want to be able to do almost anything in udk, all you need is learning base information by tutorials and your practice. After that when you need one new method, you can invent it yourself without much help.

Good luck man.

Comment

Max has some very good tools for building very complicated arrays of objects. Aligning objects evenly spaced along a spline is something I'd never want to do by hand in the UDK. Even the best Unreal level designer would quit if presented with the opportunity to place 4000 rail posts along a highway to have the client ask "Can we do 12' rather than 10', seems too tight".

I've been experimenting with the import/export functionality in the UDK. If you go to file>export, you can export out a text file that describes all the object positions in your scene. It's theoretically possible that you could write a maxscript to write a UDK readable text file that describes the array you've made in MAX, then import that text file in the UDK.

Comment

Yeah, the placement issue I was describing is more what Tom said. I know how to manually achieve the placements, was just wondering if there was a way to automate this as Max does with the standard UDK. I guess scripting is the only way to go then.

Comment

Something you might find interesting:

UDK Layout Tool

Comment

Brilliant, thanks!

Was a bit confused by it at first as I didn't realise it was copying to the clipboard and waiting for me to paste. Thought it wasn't doing anything.

Very Useful!

Comment

Working...
                  X