Hello and help please, Two cameras rendered viewing the same room

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello and help please, Two cameras rendered viewing the same room

I'd like to say hello, happy to be a new member of this forum, hopefully it'll be a big help to me.

I've been watching udk videos and following tutorials for quite a while now and I would like to start my own project.

I've got a few starting questions

Would it be possible to render multiple camera views at once?

The reason for the system would be for security camera, also viewing the room the player is in, shown side by side with the players view. I'm guessing from the lack of dialog and documentation on the subject, the answer is no or that there is some trick to it or maybe I'm missing something, but can anyone recommend documentation or a place to start looking.

Thanks for your time and I look forward to answers and some dialog on the subject, thanks again

Gerard Downes

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/RenderToTexture.html

Comment

Keep in mind that there are limitations with that:
      The camera will only see what the player can see (at least that's how it worked in UE2).
      That means it usually can't see the player's own character since that one isn't rendered for the player in first person view (otherwise he would see his head and teeth from inside).
      And it might also have problems displaying things in online games that the client itself doesn't know about due to bandwidth saving reasons. The camera will only show the actors that are currently relevant to the client and everything else will be invisible, so you end up having problems if the camera is in a room that the player can't see at that moment or if there is a BSP surface flagged as AntiPortal between the player's view and the actor that the camera should see.

If that problem still exists in UE3, then I could post my UE2 solution to it, but someone better figure out first if it exists by setting up a testmap with a local dedicated server.

Comment

I don't think any of those problems are relevant in UDK (UE3). One real limitation you have to keep in mind is you are rendering the world multiple times which will have performance impacts.

Comment

Thanks guys this was exactly what I was looking for,
          a question on the preformance hits. I'm building a small prototype, I'd be looking to use render to texture about 4 times on the same ui and twice in the level at max, any comments on that thought is it possible ?

Comment

Certainly possible. You'll probably want to keep the resolution of the rendertexture on the lower side however.

Comment

Real security cams tend to look crappy as well, so its not a big deal to lower the resolution quite a bit

Comment

Working...
              X