Lights, Cameras, Collisions Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lights, Cameras, Collisions Questions

Hey guys, I am fairly new to the Unreal world, so I don't know many technical things.

First of all - Is it possible to create "negative light"? I want one of my rooms to appear as if it is a bottomless pit. Is there some sort of way to make a black-colored area light at the bottom?

#2 - I followed Hourences tutorial to get a working 3rd person camera. I am now trying to create a short camera animation in the middle of my game. It's one of those parts in a game where you hit a switch and it opens a door and the camera shows you which door in the level opens. I got the small cutscene to work using a DirectorGroup and CameraGroup. However, once the 4-second-long cutscene ends, it switches back to the character camera, but the character has disappeared! The only thing remaining is his gun. Any ideas on why the character disappears or how to fix it?

And finally #3 - I have made a downward-twisted cylinder that can be walked into (much like a twisted slide at a park, but a full cylinder). I am having the toughest time creating a collision for it. Is there an easy way of creating a collision for this cylinder? Or am I seriously going to have to place a bunch of convex shapes around it until I can't walk through it?

Thanks a lot!

1. Negative light isn't recommended... Not even sure if it's gonna work. You can use height fog inside your pit instead.
    2. Not sure what's happening but might have to take a look at the kismet/matinee setup.
    3. If your cylinder mesh is fairly simple, you can simply check off "Use Simple Box Collision" in your static mesh property. If your mesh is very high polygon, your collision cylinder should have a thickness inside.

Comment

Yeah, negative light didn't work too well.... How do you go about creating and boxing in height fog?

Here is the cylinder. I am trying to make it so you can walk into it and not fall through

Comment

Search for Fog in content browser. And like I've said, turning off simple box collision should solve your collision issue. Mesh looks light enough that making another collision volume may be a waste.

Comment

Hey, thanks for the help! The fog works great, I used a fog volume and scaled it to the size I need. I also unchecked the that box and the collision works better...still kind of hard to climb back up the pipe, but it will do for now.

Another question: I set up a trigger to open a door and to turn a light from red to green. I have it timed so the door shuts after 15 seconds. However, if you don't make it through the door, you must push the button(trigger) again. The second time (and subsequent times) I push it, it doesn't work. The door doesn't open and the light doesn't change. I have MaxTriggerCount set to 0, that should be infinite right? So why doesn't the trigger work more than once?

Comment

Select your matinee and check rewind on play.

Comment

Wow...I feel dumb...thank you so much! It worked perfectly.

I still can't figure out why the character disappears though....

Comment

Working...
              X