Normal mapping???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Normal mapping???

I am trying to get a bump map on a mesh and using a bump map out of maya is n't working, the bump map ends up showing black ont he mesh, I treied using a normal map using crazy bump, that wouldn't work at all- it was inverted.

I have no clue how else to get a normal map. I downloaded the nvidia plug-in for photoshop, but it won't even show in the app.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Bump map and normal map are two different things in maya (and generally other places as well). A bump map is a grey scale map that just gives height information, where as the normal map is a 3 channel map which contains directional (x, y, and depth) information.

In maya you need to add it as a bump map but change the selection in the bump map to Tangent normal map, this will tell maya that it's a normal map rather than just a bump map.

Comment

Originally posted by MotorCity3D View Post
      I am trying to get a bump map on a mesh and using a bump map out of maya is n't working, the bump map ends up showing black ont he mesh, I treied using a normal map using crazy bump, that wouldn't work at all- it was inverted.

I have no clue how else to get a normal map. I downloaded the nvidia plug-in for photoshop, but it won't even show in the app.

Thanks in advance for any help.
      I'll suggest U install the Nvidia plugin to your photoshop folder...It ususally does that itself actually.

I had the same problem with using a bump map as a normal map in UDK...The entire mesh lost its specularity (Went all dark).

If you have a normal map that's inverted: In photoshop
      >click on the channels (Make sure U have the normal map Layer selected) >click on the green channel and hit: Ctrl + I.

That should set it straight.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghiest View Post
        Bump map and normal map are two different things in maya (and generally other places as well). A bump map is a grey scale map that just gives height information, where as the normal map is a 3 channel map which contains directional (x, y, and depth) information.

In maya you need to add it as a bump map but change the selection in the bump map to Tangent normal map, this will tell maya that it's a normal map rather than just a bump map.
        That did it. Thanks guys. But I do have one proplem with it, The bump....er normal I'm trying to get is ok in maya, but when in udk the non-slip paint bumps don't show unless theres a specular on it. I don't want that shine- only on areas that need it.

I do need to lighten up my texture colors a bit, that might fix it.

I really appreciate the response.

Thanks again.

Comment

It's because Maya generates normal maps differently, you need to take it into Photoshop/gimp and flip the green chan then save it again.

Conversely, if you are generating your normal maps inside Maya then use left-handed normal map generation

(select this option before baking normal maps and when it goes into UDK it will be fine)

Comment

I didn't even know I could generate a normal map inside of maya. I will try it. I did get it to work using a normal map I created with crazy bump- but I think crazybump is buggy as hell and crashes alot.

Comment

Well yes but it's not anything like crazybump or the photoshop filters, it is a transfer maps ability to take complex geometry and transfer it to a lower polygon mesh and generate the normal map from there.

Comment

I tried getting the photoshop filters from nvidia and it won't work.

Is there any other PS filter to use?? I can't stand using crazybump- it just seems unreliable.

Comment

Xnormal has a photoshop filter as well. (XNormal.net I think)

Comment

Thanks buddy. I installed it and it works good, file size is small also. When I went to filters to see if it was there, the nvidia filter decided to show up also. and that also works good.

Comment

Working...
                    X