I can haz MMO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can haz MMO?

I (unsurprisingly) noticed a huge amount of conversation based off of the possibility of an MMO in the UDK and game development in general. Before I continue, let me just say I'm not planning on making one or looking for an easy method (because I know there isn't one) to make one especially with the UDK but I was curious about this. Let's say I developed a client-server structure in C++ that was tested and could handle a good few hundred people possibly more with a good dedicated host, would it be possible to implement something like this into the UDK? I'm not sure how you would go about setting up the game client to communicate with the server to link everyone together. Like I said this is all theoretical but I'm interested to see if this is possible at all.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooo (fading away sound)!!!!!

not ANOTHER THREAD about the EXACT same topic.... AAAARGHH..

<slamming head against desk>

pssst: even if it could, which isn't the case, you couldn't possibly maintain it, since it costs thousands to millions to operate such a large scale serverpark +developers + support team +sales team +marketing costs +whatnot
    Many startups failed just on financials alone..

Comment

Originally posted by saymoo View Post
      NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooo (fading away sound)!!!!!

not ANOTHER THREAD about the EXACT same topic.... AAAARGHH..

<slamming head against desk>

pssst: even if it could, which isn't the case, you couldn't possibly maintain it, since it costs thousands to millions to operate such a large scale serverpark +developers + support team +sales team +marketing costs +whatnot
      Many startups failed just on financials alone..
      This isn't that type of thread, perhaps I didn't express that clearly enough. I am NOT trying to do this, I am NOT thinking of ANY part of making an MMO. This is merely a theoretical discussion about making the engine comply with a different multi-player method. This discussion is assuming all the work is done on the development except the client needs to recognize how to connect to the server. My guess is you would need to modify the class OnlineSubsystemPC in some way.

Comment

Working...
      X